What temps are normal on our bikes? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

What temps are normal on our bikes?

The hottest I've ever seen mine get is just about 3/4 of the way up on the temp gauge. Is that normal?

'86 VN750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I've seen mine get around there so I guess its not abnormal. It was a hot day, in the high 90s, and I was stuck in a lot of stop-n-go traffic. This past year I flushed my cooling system and put in some Engine Ice coolant and a new thermostat. I did it as a matter of regular maintenance and not because I was having overheating problems. I've noticed it now stays two or three needle-widths cooler now than before in normal riding around conditions but I've also not yet had a stop-n-go riding situation in high temp days so I can't compare it yet to those days to see it react to really strenuous conditions. You didn't state what the conditions were when you had your 3/4 reading.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

3/4 reading was riding around the neighborhood, kind of pushing it a little around the side streets. It was about 55 degrees out. It kind of fluctuated back and forth between 3/4 and 5/8. I have 50/50 antifreeze in it now, maybe I should fill it with Engine Ice instead. Seems to be highly recommended.

'86 VN750

Last edited by snoopyonderdonk; 02-27-2017 at 01:46 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
"Normal" running the temp needle should be pointing straight back.. even on a 90 degree day as long as the bike is moving.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:41 AM
Eagle Riders 4146

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
"Normal" running the temp needle should be pointing straight back.. even on a 90 degree day as long as the bike is moving.
I took a ride yesterday in the first HOT weather of the season...about 95 here in Kansas City. Normally, my needle pretty much sits 50/50. However, I was on the highway when I first noticed that it was up to 3/4. I presumed this was due to the heat of the day. When I got into town...stop-and-go...it went all the way up to the high side, but never moved into the red. When I got to my folks house and turned it off, I could easily hear the jug boiling away, and there was maybe a cups worth of spillage. I checked the fluid level before I headed home a few hours later, and the same thing happened when I got back into my neighborhood....3/4 on the highway and all the up to the H at the lights. I almost lost it coming off a stop light when the back tire broke loose because I didn't notice it had overflowed some at the light.

When I got back home it was boiling away as I figured it would be. I did not hear the fan running, and so I'm wondering if a bad fan is the culprit. I'm going to check that on days off. After it cooled down I checked the levels at the rad cap and overflow jug. Fluid at the top of the rad neck, and just under the H on the jug, and it was flushed and filled about 10 months ago with 50/50 Dex Cool. So I'm fairly confident it isn't bad coolant as I never had an issue like this in last year's heat.

Someone in the thread mentioned the thermostat. Stupid question alert! Where is the thermostat located on our bikes? Mine is an '03.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere; and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself."[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[I]'03 VN750 aka "Shelley"
42K Miles
Purchased July '16
Oil Changed - Shell Rotella 5W40
Radiator Flushed - Engine Ice
EMGO 19" Turnout Mufflers
Super Start AGM MF Battery (220 CCA)
K&N Air Filters - No Ear Shave
Stay tuned.....[/I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement