engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Engine rattle at 3100rpm

I have an '06' that had been driving me crazy with a metalic rattle
at around 3100rpm. I was told it was the acct and needed the
Grambol trick. I finally traced it to the throttle cables slapping
around. I ended up buying some heat resistant wire wrapping
from NAPA and covered the cables. No more rattle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:49 PM

Re: Engine rattle at 3100rpm

had similar noise problem on my wifes bike, they were hitting the speedo when i hit a bump and sounded like the fender was falling off.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 PM

Where were they loose? I've been hunting fo r anoise between 3500 and 4000 RPM all summer.

Bill

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I figured it out. The throttle cables weren't the main problem. I noticed the
rattle was most noticable with a full tank of gas. It would ease and stop as the fuel
went down. It must be the float in the tank that rattles at full - half tank. Don't
know how to fix it, but I can live with it now that I know where it's comming from.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Wink Re: Engine rattle at 3100rpm

ok, that explains it, i forgot about that one, a kaw wrench said that the petcock rattles as the vacumm pulsates from the carb, then i deduce, it may be more pronounced with the greater pressure at a full tank. mine and my wifes also buzz at certain speeds, i just decided the wrench was right and blamed it on the petcock auto fuel cut off.

and for bills question, no they werent loose, just real close to the tach housing, and when wind pressed them back, they make a slapping sound at times...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Beavis,
Great pictures. You've also done most of the things I plan to do in the future.
I hope you don't mind some questions that I'm sure I'll have. That's a great 700
you picked up for the wife. She's a lucky gal.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:05 AM

Hiya,

I was at my wits end and resorting to the "kick the tire" mentality... A few weeks ago, my bike quit starting - had to push start it. When I got it running, the idle was completely screwed up. W/the choke on, it would fluctuate, and off, it would just konk out unless I had the idle up to 2K or higher... and then there was the engine noise coming from the front, left when the engine idled that high or I revved it to keep it running at a light.

This past weekend, I took all the wonderful advice I received from folks like you all and went to work on fixing the start problem first. Off came the seat. Off came the gas tank. One by one, I eliminated the possible causes for my bikes 'no start' issue. Nothin' was working. I kicked the tire once more, and then started putting everything back together so I could push start it and ride on down to the shop (man, I hate defeat!!). When I went to put the tank back on, I noticed the grommet thingy on the left side was missing, so I combed the grass where I'd set it - nada. I searched a 30 foot radius around my bike - 3 times... nothing. Did it mysteriously disappear? Was it on there in the first place? If it was, how in the h*** did it come off?? Anyway, in the true spirit of survival and luck, I found a foam roller in my friendís tool box that had the same diameters, so I cut a piece to fit. It worked perfectly.

It was right when I stood up that it hit me Ė clutch switch?? Seriously doubting this could be the start problem, I gave it a whirl. Shazam and Bonsai!! The switch was broken. With the help of a paperclip, I bypassed the switch and she fired right up. And this brings me to why I responded to this postingÖ

I trimmed the paperclip down and taped it up till I can replace the switch, and then took it for a test ride. THE ENGINE NOISE WAS GONE AND THE IDLE WAS MORE LIKE PURRING! I havenít had anymore problems mentioned above since (thank god!!). My female-rookie hypothesis Ė a tank thatís not secure could possibly a) make a metal/metal noise that might sound like itís from the engine, and b) have enough (although slight) movement to randomly pinch a fuel [intake] hose to cause an irregular idle. Conclusion Ė donít jump to any conclusions when trying to analyze a problemÖ one problem may be the cause of others and be totally unrelated. I know Iím eons behind having the experience and knowledge a lot of you guys (and hopefully gals) have in this group, but itís all about learning and sharing. Ö so, how DID I lose a grommet???

ione
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:14 PM

Some great points mentioned here. Thanks all!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:12 PM

maybe it was never there? a problem left over form the last time the tank was off or was originally assembled. not sure about pinching a hose, but if the clutch switch was barly working, then that would make the engine run bad when in gear and the kickstand was down, or maybe any time, not sure how it is wired, but i know it will kill the engine if released in gear with the stand down.

but glad to hear you got it going.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Ok Bill, I just figured out what my rattle was at the exact RPMs that you mentioned. I lifted the tank to the left and had my son hold it, that way I didn't have to disconnect the fuel lines, watch the vacuum line from the carb to the fuel valve, it may come off, mine did. Now to the rattle. It was the clamp holding the coolant hose to the coolant tube, the tightning screw was straight up at 12 o'clock vibrating against the tank, I loosened the clamp, moved it at 6 o'clock and the rattle is gone. I hopes that helps.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhig
Where were they loose? I've been hunting fo r anoise between 3500 and 4000 RPM all summer.

Bill

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
Sponsored Links
Advertisement