Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Question Oil

There seems to be a lot of confusion and different opinions about what kind of oil to put in a VN750. Even the mechanic at my dealer can't come up with a straight answer. Does anyone on this board see any problem with using a cheap oil like Penzoil 10-40, and changing it every 3000 miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Smile Re: Oil

Hello
Automobile oil has friction modifiers that in some cases are not friendly to wet clutches. Get a motorcycle oil weight can be 10- 40W to 20-50W. I prefer synthecics ( no spell checker) I used to use Mobil one motorcycle oil, now I use Amsoil. Warning I think it was Rider in tech correspondense this month stated that synthecic oil can worsen a leak. There is no supporting evidence given to support that statement. Gee I wonder if that may explain my VN750 old Triumph like behaviour of leaving 2 or 3 drops of oil wherever I stop. Before I went to motorcycle oils I used to be a true user of Castrol GTX 20-50W Auto oil. The only constant in life is change.
Ed
86 VN750 "Leonidas"
Yes I have added stuff but the list is too long.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Re: Oil

Thanks, Ed,

I've always shied away from synthetics. Just an "old fashioned" guy I guess. Maybe I'll use Castrol GTX regularly. I only have 2500 miles on my new bike but will want to change oil at about 3000. I changed at 500 miles and put in "Kawasaki" oil. I could keep using that I guess, although it's more expensive.

Thanks, Dan - Seattle

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 01:13 AM

I guess I am a little biased as I am a Amsoil dealer and run it in every thing I own cars, trucks, boat and now my 750. The Harley and Beemer boys love it. If mobil or castrol syntec is your brand that's great, most syn's offer better protection than the best dino oils.To those that get xxxx miles on dino oil thats great but is not the norm, very high milage and abuse with no problems with syn is the norm, not exception. Not knocking anyones choice here just my observation. As to syns worsening leaks, it is possible, if you have sludge buildup on a seal or o-ring it does not keep getting conditioned by the oil and dries out. When you put in syn the additives eat away the sludge exposing a leak.
If you already have a leak you will still have a leak with syn but oils like Amsoil and Redline have a high amount of seal swell additives which if the leak is small it may repair itself. Also some of the high milage specilty oils have the same conditioners in them. Syn viscosity is much more stable and resistant to temp changes which cuts down or eliminates clutch chatter even in cold weather without long warm up periods.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:45 PM

Best bang for the buck is a heavy duty 15W40 oil, e.g. Shell Rotella T. It and the synthetic version (which is a 5W40) are incredibly popular in the motorcycle world for a reason - check any forum! They use excellent base oils and a very robust additive package - they have to, they're built to protect turbocharged semi's! An off the shelf 10W40 will work but why bother with an inferior oil when Chevron, Mobil and Shell sell 15W40s for almost the same price - less than $2/qt (by the gallon) at Walmart? Amsoil is great, and IMO the best! Their new reformulated MC oils are quite expensive and one could certainly argue overkill for a $6k water-cooled 750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement