Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Oil leak

Hi!

I just got a Vulcan 750 about a month ago and love it! Unfortunately, I have an oil leak coming from the left hand side of the bike. I believe it's coming from one of the two black hoses shown in the pictures below. Im not a mechanic and this is my first motorcycle, but I'm trying to learn and to do as much as I possibly can on my own with the help of the Clymers manual and you awesome people. Can anyone tell me if this is an easy fix or something that I have to go to the shop for. This is my only vehicle, so leaving it over night and not driving it isn't an option. Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1472965370554.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	33954   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1472965424534.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	33962  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:29 AM

It looks like the area you have indicated is where the stator wires come out of the housing and those are not hoses but both are wires (I forget which wires the other one has right now). If the grommet is leaking you may be able to clean it off well. Remove any old black RTV that may be on it and spray it with brake cleaner. You can then try and work some of "The Right Stuff" RTV sealer by Permatex down between and around the wires next to the grommet. Let it dry overnight and hope for the best. It is a common place to leak after the stator has been replaced. If the leak is only a few drops overnight I would not worry about it much. Sooner or later you may have to pull the cover to replace the stator and can replace ans seal it correctly then.

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
It's more likely the leak is coming from the front and blowing backwards. The shifter bushing likes to leak, the oil lines (in chrome) connect through grommets in the head and can get loose. I'd suggest using degreaser and a rag to wipe it down and find the highest and most forward spot you see oil to eliminate blow back and gravity changes to the oil position.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both so much! Green, you are right those are wires (I literally have no background in mechanics besides working on my old Vespa). I will degrease everything soon and use some talcum powder to see if I can't find the leak. Thanks One, I'll keep an eye on those spots that you suggested. First though, I just found a coolant leak in the pipe that goes down into the rear cyclinder that I have to deal with. Pretty sure it's the gasket. Hopefully, that's why the bike runs hot. Hope I didn't get a lemon, I really do love riding this bike!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

coolant leaks at the pipes in the heads or block are usually bad o-rings (that seal the pipe). usually not to hard to fix, although the one on the right side requires pulling off the clutch cover to fix.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement