Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Engine Oil Light

Hello!
I'm really confused on the behavior of my engine oil light (98 vulcan 750). One day I went to ride it and when I turned the key to the ON position the engine oil indicator lights up. Then when I start the bike, it goes away.
Never happened before, so I thought the oil needed to be changed. Well new oil and filter, and the problem remains. I've read about burping and tilting, but the problem I have is that the light isn't on when the bike is running. Its only on when the bike is off but the key is turned to ON.
Didn't do this before, so what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

thats normal behaviour.. its a warning light to let you know that the engine isn't producing enough oil pressure to keep itself lubricated.. engine has to be running for the oil pump (inside engine) to run, therefore, when engine is off, light should be on. Just like in a car.

its possible you oil pressure switch (which turns light on/off) was stuck before, and it has since gotten freed up. Or, it had an air bubble at the sender switch which has since worked its way out.

either way, its doing its job properly now

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:26 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Normally I believe the goes on before you start the bike, and goes off after it is started.
You should check to see if you're low on oil, but there's nothing wrong there.
(Going by memory here, someone else will post up if that's true....but either way nothing to worry about as long as the light goes off she the bike starts up)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:55 AM

Garage
Ditto on what the others have said about the oil light.

Just came to say that if you were lucky enough to get one with your bike, the user manual has lots of details about some of the head-scratching aspects of the bike, like when the oil light should and shouldn't be on, and what the 'headlight' light on the dashboard is and why it's only dimly all the time, etc, etc.

If you don't have a hard copy, you can download one from kawasaki's site: https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/Manual/VN750A18

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Normally I believe the goes on before you start the bike, and goes off after it is started.
You should check to see if you're low on oil, but there's nothing wrong there.
(Going by memory here, someone else will post up if that's true....but either way nothing to worry about as long as the light goes off she the bike starts up)
yup km, normal operation. on when engine off (no oil pressure), turns off as soon as pressure builds (which should be within a second or so of starting).

does NOT monitor oil level, unless its way too low, such that the oil pump cannot pump enough oil thru the engine and starts sucking air

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I am lucky enough to have a user manual, and it did state that it comes on before the bike actually starts.

I was just confused because I guess it wasn't behaving normally before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement