What mufflers for my 1986 vn 750? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

What mufflers for my 1986 vn 750?

Hi, I've just purchased my very first Kawasaki, the Vulcan vn 750 1986. Great bike but search as I may I cant find anyone worldwide that supplies the original rear mufflers. So what dose one do is my question? To be honest I'm finding it quite hard to find anyone who supplies exhaust systems for this year?

Any recommendations would be most welcome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robindea View Post
Hi, I've just purchased my very first Kawasaki, the Vulcan vn 750 1986. Great bike but search as I may I cant find anyone worldwide that supplies the original rear mufflers. So what dose one do is my question? To be honest I'm finding it quite hard to find anyone who supplies exhaust systems for this year?

I personally recommend that just maybe you should have used your first post for your introduction under the Newbie Check-In section. There you should have told us about your riding/wrenching experience and where you are located. This way we would know a little about you and be more inclined to offer some information as to where you could get an original exhaust system. Of course the information you requested is easily obtainable here if one is to do a simple "search" but most of us would be more than willing to present the information readily to someone we felt we knew. I am still unsure why so many just start asking for information without doing a simple introduction as requested.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Expendable newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
I personally recommend that just maybe you should have used your first post for your introduction under the Newbie Check-In section. There you should have told us about your riding/wrenching experience and where you are located. This way we would know a little about you and be more inclined to offer some information as to where you could get an original exhaust system. Of course the information you requested is easily obtainable here if one is to do a simple "search" but most of us would be more than willing to present the information readily to someone we felt we knew. I am still unsure why so many just start asking for information without doing a simple introduction as requested.

I think it's because some people feel silly or shy doing an intro post. They probably donít understand the atmosphere and donít see the importance of it. It could also be that some people arenít comfortable with posting info about themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robindea View Post

You could try looking for the part on ebay. Or if there is a motorcycle junkyard close to you then get it from there. There is also a sell swap section here that you can try looking in. If you donít find the part there, then try getting it from a member who is parting out their bike.

Don't take my word for it. I'm just a foolish newbie.
When in doubt, just know that I am only joking around.

95 VN750
Top speed is 112 mph at ~7900 rpm
Blacked out engine
Dry rusty splines finally lubed for the first time
R/R relocated to the side of fuse box
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
In line fuel filter, 23-28 micron rating
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
LED turn signals & brake light
16 color LED engine light up & underglow

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evulcannibal View Post
I think it's because some people feel silly or shy doing an intro post. They probably donít understand the atmosphere and donít see the importance of it. It could also be that some people arenít comfortable with posting info about themselves.
Some people may feel silly or shy introducing themselves but not asking total strangers for information. Sorry but I can't accept that. It just seems to be proper manners but then again a lot of that has gone by the wayside these days.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
4507 miles
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:23 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
On the other hand, I completely accept that. Welcome anyways!

eBay is a good source, or maybe someone on here has a spare set they took off when they upgraded pipes. Any 85-02 original set will do.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:03 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
On the other hand, I completely accept that. Welcome anyways!

eBay is a good source, or maybe someone on here has a spare set they took off when they upgraded pipes. Any 85-02 original set will do.
Since this is your first post even if it is not in the newbie intro form, Welcome to the Vulcan madness Robindea.

Quote:
Great bike but search as I may I cant find anyone worldwide that supplies the original rear mufflers.
If I read your opening post correctly, you only need the the actual slip on mufflers from behind the exhaust crossover/power chamber. (aka the goat's belly or belly of the goat in Vulcan speak. lol )
You may need new gaskets for the slip ons, but if the old ones do not leak, go ahead and use them.

thtanner is right, the pipes from any year vn700/750 from 1985 to 2006 will fit right up. (US models were 700 cc in 1985 only. All other models worldwide were always 750cc, and virtually all parts are interchangeable.)

History of the vn750 as we know it:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-...0-history.html

Here is a link to all the exhaust parts I found on Ebay just now by searching "vn 750 vulcan mufflers"
eBay Marketplace

If you have the skills or know a mechanic who does, many Harley mufflers have been adapted to fit. Some of the members here can offer advice if you want to go this route.

Hope that helps you find what you need.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-14-2016 at 01:13 AM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Expendable newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
Some people may feel silly or shy introducing themselves but not asking total strangers for information. Sorry but I can't accept that. It just seems to be proper manners but then again a lot of that has gone by the wayside these days.
Wellllll,Ö Theyíre not going to feel shy about asking total strangers because their anonymity is protected by them being behind a keyboard.

It is good manners to intro yourself, but not everyone knows that. Especially if they haven't been around the forum block. I also feel that there are some new members that only join to get their one question answer. Since they only plan to do that one post or stay on until their question is answer, then probably donít want to waste time introducing themselves. This is just of course my feeling and I donít have any proof of this.

95 VN750
Blacked out engine
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Expendable newbie

Garage
Other members think that there should be a block in place to prevent new members from creating a thread without first doing an intro post. I think that when new members try to create a thread, there should at least be a pop up message that says something like,
We noticed that you havenít created an introduction post in the newbie check-in section yet. We highly recommend that new members do any intro post about themselves before anything else. Things that you should include in your intro post are ______. Would you like to create an intro post now? Yes or no?

If they select no, then another message that says,
We noticed that you said no to doing an intro post. Please know that it is HIGHLY recommended and considered good manners for new members to do an intro post. Would you like to create an intro post now? Yes or no?

If no again, then,
We noticed that you refused to intro yourself. Be warn that new members who donít intro themselves before creating a new post may or may not be ridiculed by other members. Do you want to save yourself from ridicule by doing an intro post or do you want to be discourteous and create a new post without an intro?

Itís either that or you make them enter in that info during signups. Create required fields that new members have to fill in like, wrenching experience level, location, riding exp lvl. Then display that info under their name along with the join date and post count. That way other members will know every time they post.

95 VN750
Blacked out engine
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evulcannibal View Post
.....It is good manners to intro yourself, but not everyone knows that. Especially if they haven't been around the forum block......
I realize the point you are making but I disagree in that good manners should not be restricted to only forum posting. It is my opinion that too many want to make excuses for others poor behavior and then talk about how society is going down hill. I am not directing that at you but in generality from my experience. I don't remember that line of thought from the adults when I was much younger. We were expected to be respectful and to have manners at all times. Things seem to be different now and I put a lot of that blame on our generation because we did not hold the generation that followed us to the same standards as we were held.

Just a side note, the OP hasn't come back to answer any replies nor to post an intro as requested. I guess this just wasn't very important to that person.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 06-14-2016 at 08:18 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Expendable newbie

Garage
Darn those whippers snappers. They ain't got no respect anymore. Thinking they're all that with their bookface and youtwo and twitcher. In my day, we ain't got no compeeewwwter. We did all our talking face to face. So when you wanted to tell another man to go engage in an intimate sexual relationship with himself, you did it to his face. And then you followed it up with "sir" because it was good manners.
brock nevermore likes this.

95 VN750
Blacked out engine
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
Voltmeter
Gear indicator