Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

coolant pipe leak

ok, just did my right side cover gasket (for the oil leak I had). re-assembled, and when I put coolant in, it runs out the metal pipe on the right side (at the upper end) as fast as I pour it in..

I did replace the o-rings, and they appear to be seated to best of my knowledge..

is their ANY way to do anything to this without pulling the right cover again.. I really dont want to drain the oil (I wont be able to save it in all likelyhood).

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 04:52 PM

Any chance you reversed the orientation (one end flanged) on install? I used vaseline liberally when reinstalling to aid with seating orings all the way in without bunching them up. Tried dry and it was no go.

Picture?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

its the right orientation.. all a pic would show is the pipe, the side cover, and the right side case half.. with coolant leaking out of the connection between the pipe and the right case half.. nothing really to show.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

im probably not gonna get back to it tonite, but tomorrow will plan on worse, unless someone has an idea..

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 06:41 PM

Sounds like your positive you put 2nd oring on top side and tube was evenly seated. That sounds like a wicked leak. Thats a bummer pulling.

I bought one ofthe 300+ piece metric oring harbor freight sets some suggest for rebuild but not all vn750 orings are in kit - some are close but still over under fwiw
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

the orings i put in where the right size, purchased using the kawasaki part number.

yea, 2 orings on each end, with the double flared end going into the right side cover (pointing down).

will just have to try again tomorrow.. this time when I put it back together, I will NOT put oil in, or right subframe on until I am reasonably certain it wont leak. the real kicker is I just changed oil 3 weeks ago, then drained today (didnt save it, replaced with new), now I gotta TRY to save the stuff I just put in. I really cant afford to buy 4 qts of oil again for it this week.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 05-28-2016 at 07:15 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 07:40 PM

I understand your frustration and the economics of it. When i broke my shift rod i had 3 day old oil, filter and coolant all wasted before the split with 0 miles.

I am learning to consider that "2 is 1 and 1 is none " with some things.. But doesnt make purchases cost any less ;-)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

the oil change 3 weeks ago also included changing the o ring on the starter, as I thought thats where the oil was coming from.. at least this time I did find it, as you look at the right side cover from the right side of engine (front to your right), the upper right most curve of the cover/case... the gasket had actually moved outside the case (or was there from original manufacturing, just barely keeping the seal). on inspection, from the outside, you would think that the gasket was just oversized in that location.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

ok, its apart, and back together (without oil, or right side sub frame).. letting it sit full of coolant to make sure its not leaking..

the gasket did not survive.. I used some RTV gasket maker, hoping it wont leak once I fire it up.

the cause of the leak... BOTH new o-rings split when I put it together (but couldnt see them because the pipe was fully seated)..

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

all together, and test ride done.. only issue is the coolant tank decided it was brittle enough to crack all over.. so, it dont hold any water.. but at least its not leaking outta the engine any more!

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement