Buying an MCCT kit from eBay - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chris and Shim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Question Buying an MCCT kit from eBay

Was super smart (sarcasm, obviously ) and bought a Vulcan with almost 44000 miles on it. I like the bike quite a lot, except the god awful stock seat which destroys my butt in about an hour of riding. I also think the performance is lacking when riding with a passenger, but I guess you can't expect the world from a 750. Fairly quick when I ride alone though

The engine though, has a decent amount of rattling, and I'm planning a long trip this summer with the bike. Having a passenger the entire trip will strain the bike all the more, so I really want to be able to rely on it. I've looked at the DIY MCCT guide where you assemble the parts yourself, but I am anything but handy with tools. I work in IT and the extent of my mechanical skills basically stop at assembling desktop computers from scratch, and some light laptop repairs. My brother is a master mechanic though, thank god, so I'm sure I can persuade him to help me do the conversion.

The site apparently has an anti-spam rule where you have to have minimum 5 posts under your belt before links are allowed, so I had to break it up.
(http)://www.ebay.com/itm/MANUAL-CAM-CHAIN-TENSIONER-RED-1986-2006-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-750-VN750-VN-T10-/141170999745?fits=Year%3A1993%7CMake%3AKawasaki%7C Model%3AVulcan+750&hash=item20de7281c1%3Ag%3A8eYAA OxycmBS3biK&vxp=mtr

I've been looking at MCCT kits on ebay. Something like the one above, for instance. I know it's vastly(!) overpriced, but the assurance that you're actually getting the right parts is worth quite a bit, to me.

Two questions:
1. Can you install this without removing the engine etc? If yes, how long does it take approx?
2. Does anyone have any experience with one of these kits?

Edit: in the picture; that's the ACCT right? I read somewhere here that a bracket to the oil line can be bent so you do not have to remove the engine. Looks like someone beat me to it? lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13318553_10153442639186058_1462606330_n.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	32001  

Last edited by Python; 05-27-2016 at 04:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 05:08 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
Hi Python,

I bought my MCCT kit from eBay see link below:
CNC Blue Billet Manual Cam Chain Tensioner For Kawasaki VN 750 Vulcan 86-06 | eBay
Build quality is good on the ones I bought.

Yes you can fit these with out removing the engine, doesn't take very long to do.

There's plenty of info in the Vulcan Verses to keep you right.

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz73 View Post
Hi Python,

I bought my MCCT kit from eBay see link below:

Build quality is good on the ones I bought.

Yes you can fit these with out removing the engine, doesn't take very long to do.

There's plenty of info in the Vulcan Verses to keep you right.
Fantastic. Maybe I should try the "Grambo Trick" first though, just to be sure. Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Mod

You might want to find a shorter bolt for the right side as the reservoir is in the way. Can't remember the company that makes it but it's much shorter then most. You really can make it yourself very easily. Good luck.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes, stock seat sucks. I ended up getting a Corbin, and my wife found it more comfortable too..... However I didn't notice much power loss with a passenger... Guess it matters what you both weigh...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I bought my MCCTs from TOC. It actually took me longer to find where my correct sized wrenches were than to swap out the front one. I had a thread going in the not too distant past where I asked basically how to adjust them. It's simple. Just finger tighten the main bolt until the clacking sound from the chain stops and then give it a 1/8th to 1/4th additional turn and tighten it in place with the nut. The back cylinder takes just a few minutes longer due to the over-flow tank needing to be unscrewed and moved out of the way. But the whole thing can be done from sitting in the living room, to the bike, to sitting in the living room in a half hour or so. (Assuming you know where the wrenches are.) On the subject of seats, your assessment is correct. Speaking for myself, the stock seat wasn't comfortable so I had one made.
WilliamTech and Python like this.

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
You might want to find a shorter bolt for the right side as the reservoir is in the way. Can't remember the company that makes it but it's much shorter then most. You really can make it yourself very easily. Good luck.
I just bought the one I linked in the first post. I didn't realize until now that there are two tensioners though. My father didn't see it either. Tried the Grambo Trick tonight. Removed the whole tensioner (left side), tested the spring a few times and put it back on. Fired it up and it was quiet for a short time before the rattling came back. At least I know the problem now

Is it cool if I run one MCCT and one ACCT? Waste of money replacing a functional part, imo.. At any rate, it must be an improvement, since the left one is broken anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes, stock seat sucks. I ended up getting a Corbin, and my wife found it more comfortable too..... However I didn't notice much power loss with a passenger... Guess it matters what you both weigh...
I haven't found anything on eBay except used stock seats.. I'm considering just getting a touring "pillow", or whatever they're called. I don't ride for more than an hour straight often anyway. I weigh around 145-150 lbs , she's around 100-105 if I were to guess (she's tiny). Maybe I'm oversensitive to these kinds of things, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Shim View Post
I bought my MCCTs from TOC. It actually took me longer to find where my correct sized wrenches were than to swap out the front one. I had a thread going in the not too distant past where I asked basically how to adjust them. It's simple. Just finger tighten the main bolt until the clacking sound from the chain stops and then give it a 1/8th to 1/4th additional turn and tighten it in place with the nut. The back cylinder takes just a few minutes longer due to the over-flow tank needing to be unscrewed and moved out of the way. But the whole thing can be done from sitting in the living room, to the bike, to sitting in the living room in a half hour or so. (Assuming you know where the wrenches are.) On the subject of seats, your assessment is correct. Speaking for myself, the stock seat wasn't comfortable so I had one made.
Very good tip there on how to adjust it! It'll help for sure. I guess the back cylinder one is fine since the noise was pretty much gone after I tested it (for a minute). Guess I can pick a second one up later. They're pretty damn expensive.

I'd love a custom seat myself, but I'm probably not going to have this bike for more than a year or two at the most. I'm starting to drool over a Sportster XL Custom 1200 (hoping that statement doesn't get me banned from the site!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement