Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Front cylindar not firing

trying to narrow it down. Hard to start, but does after a bit. After running, the front is cool to the touch. Took the plugs out, and tried..lots of mist coming out. Tried testing for spark..got one.. I have done an ear shave, but have yet to rejet. I know this could be a number of things, so can I get a list of possibilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Check the vacuum line for the front carb and see if it gets wet with gas.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

you think flooding? bad float?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 01:11 PM

Petcock can leak through the vac line and cause flooding, fill the cylinder and eventually the crankcase with gas.

Could easily be lack of fuel on the cyl. though. Maybe check a spark plug for color.

But, you only got one spark when you checked? That's ignition, check for voltage at the front coil.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

sorry, no. It sparked continuous. faint blue
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:48 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
Same isssue here. front hot, back cold. Are the plugs in the hot cyl carbon coated black and the cold cyl wet with gas?

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:38 PM

I am having the same issue or possibly similar issue. Seems that the pipe coming off the front cylinder is not getting hot but the other pipe is. Checked the spark from the wires against the cylinder and all plugs seem to be getting spark that is blue in color. At first I thought it was a problem with the float and seeing as how I couldn't figure anything else out, I tore the carbs out and looked into it. Everything looked really clean in the front carb including the needle looking great. Looking for help to try to figure out what the problem could be. Symptoms are as follows:

Sluggish at idle and rough moving from a stop. Front plugs are gas soaked and I seem to have gas in my crank case. Either popping or backfiring on startup (unsure of proper term) and smells of gas. There is white smoke but I believe that is from the sea foam I put in. Also seems to be fine when operating at a higher rpm.

Last week when I first noticed an issue the bike was dumping gas and reving up all on its own. This was after taking it out for about an hour. Every startup after that didn't seem to have the same issue.

I apologize for being a little sloppy with my explanation. This entire process has been a headache and it is my first mechanical service on any motorcycle. Please help as I am in much need of advice.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:03 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
I am having the same issue or possibly similar issue. Seems that the pipe coming off the front cylinder is not getting hot but the other pipe is. Checked the spark from the wires against the cylinder and all plugs seem to be getting spark that is blue in color. At first I thought it was a problem with the float and seeing as how I couldn't figure anything else out, I tore the carbs out and looked into it. Everything looked really clean in the front carb including the needle looking great. Looking for help to try to figure out what the problem could be. Symptoms are as follows:

Sluggish at idle and rough moving from a stop. Front plugs are gas soaked and I seem to have gas in my crank case. Either popping or backfiring on startup (unsure of proper term) and smells of gas. There is white smoke but I believe that is from the sea foam I put in. Also seems to be fine when operating at a higher rpm.

Last week when I first noticed an issue the bike was dumping gas and reving up all on its own. This was after taking it out for about an hour. Every startup after that didn't seem to have the same issue.

I apologize for being a little sloppy with my explanation. This entire process has been a headache and it is my first mechanical service on any motorcycle. Please help as I am in much need of advice.
pretty much identical issue. bogs, sluggish, but moves once you get the rpm's up. Carbs are still suspect for me. Pilot jet partial blockage is my suspicion. You have to blow it out with compressed air no matter how good it looks. I suggest what I'll be doing this week which is hooking fuel line to the drain, draining the carb, and unhooking carb inlets. Then hook the compressor to the fuel drain, open it wide open and blowlack through the carb backwards.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
hook the compressor to the fuel drain, open it wide open and blowlack through the carb backwards.
I wouldn't recommend that myself, but I can't stop anyone from doing it. I'm not even a fan of any blowback, unless I'm stuck somewhere with no tools.

2003-21k mi

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:38 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
In combination with carb cleaner or seafoam, the right pressure makes it a perfect choice to unstick containments in the jets without tearing the bike apart.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement