Engine noise :'-( Comforting advice wanted! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Engine noise :'-( Comforting advice wanted!

Hi all, my bike ('94 750) has developed a rather unpleasant noise, I reckon it's been getting steadily worse over the last few weeks but for a long time I think I've been kidding myself it was just the exaust tone but now I have to admit to myself that's it's knocking/clacking under load. I'm fairly sure it's the front cylinder and more audible on the left side. It's not a general clatter it seems to be a steady clacking or knocking that mainly comes in at 3000rpm, increases with the engine speed and is less audible after about 4000rpm but that may be because after that I can't hear much of anything except wind noise as I have no screen. Unfortunately most of my commuting is done between 3000 and 4000 rpm so I have to listen to it a lot! Tried the Grembo trick and maybe that improves it slightly for a little while but that could be my wishful thinking. The noise is worst once bike is warmed up, it's not bad at all for the first few miles. Most of what I've read here about the ACCT says cam chain noise is more apparent when cold so I have the opposite problem. I noticed when I got the bike that the oil level was high and it stayed that way 'till I changed the oil and filter last week and the noise now seems louder. I now have the oil level at the topmost mark in the window. The bike starts and runs fine and the idle is steady and not noisy (I don't think it is anyway, I've never heard another VN at idle so have no benchmark). If I rev the bike when stationary the clacking comes in briefly at about 3000 revs and disappears, I can increase the revs and it sounds fine, it's only constantly noisy when under load, not when coasting or decellerating. I'd love some advice or input from you experienced folk out there! What I want to hear is that it's probably just the chain tensioner and changing or adjusting the spring would sort it out. What I don't want to hear is that the camshaft is kaput and a few million pounds and 6 weeks off the road in a workshop will have it sorted! Any response greatly appreciated folks!
Cheers for now
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Re: Engine noise :'-( Comforting advice wanted!

Well, you get your wish. The symptoms your describing is EXACTLY what was happening with my 94. Only it was the rear cylinder. When I pulled the valve covers off, it was VERY clear that the ACCT was the cause. New ACCTs (I did both), and voila, no more cam chain noise.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnohero
Well, you get your wish. The symptoms your describing is EXACTLY what was happening with my 94. Only it was the rear cylinder. When I pulled the valve covers off, it was VERY clear that the ACCT was the cause. New ACCTs (I did both), and voila, no more cam chain noise.
For someone who is fairly mechanically inclinded is the ACCT replacement a fairly easy job? Where did you buy the new ones? Could it cause any harm to keep riding with this noise? My 85 has about 10K miles on it and sounds like a tin can rattling

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

One of the things you can do is rebuild the ACCTs with new springs. You will need the page out of the climer manual so you can build the tool to prevent the ACCT spring from unwinding (or you can eyeball it like I did). When I did my front one (haven't done the back one yet), the action seemed to be kind of sticky (and so did the parts). I cleaned everything off and re-assembled with the new spring and had a much smoother operating ACCT. If you don't want to replace the spring, you may try cleaning out the ACCT to see if that will help any (same amount of work though).

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 11:37 AM

Or you can get a pair of these. By the way, the KT1100 do fit up to 2005

http://www.zxzone.com/sprockets.html

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mike
Or you can get a pair of these. By the way, the KT1100 do fit up to 2005

http://www.zxzone.com/sprockets.html
Humm......After reading that it seems as though that is what is also causing my horrible backfiring when I let off the throttle. Well it looks like I should break down and fix this before it causes harm to something else.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:25 PM

I have seen these on ebay for about $45
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I'm wiping the tears away and hoping it's the adjusters. Managed to order one new one off the shelf today, should have it friday. Was quite surprised to get it - these bikes are uncommon over here in the uk! the guy said he hadn't sold one for 2 years, only had the one in stock and wouldn't bother re-ordering (unless I want another)! I think I read somewhere here that the engine has to be tdc when you remove the old acct, is that correct? I (in my ignorance!) wouldn't have thought it would matter as long as nothing is moved and the engine not started?
many thanks again fellas for your help and advice!
Rich
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:52 PM

I installed the manual cam chain tensioners that Sgt. Mike listed back at the beginning of the summer and have had no problems. I also used ACCT replacement info from gypsy’s web site , http://ourworld.cs.com/Moonmist115/vulcanwebsite.html .

ab750
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1ker
Thanks for all the replies, I'm wiping the tears away and hoping it's the adjusters. Managed to order one new one off the shelf today, should have it friday. Was quite surprised to get it - these bikes are uncommon over here in the uk! the guy said he hadn't sold one for 2 years, only had the one in stock and wouldn't bother re-ordering (unless I want another)! I think I read somewhere here that the engine has to be tdc when you remove the old acct, is that correct? I (in my ignorance!) wouldn't have thought it would matter as long as nothing is moved and the engine not started?
many thanks again fellas for your help and advice!
Rich
I think the search goddess on the yahoo group has sent a set of springs overseas. even with shipping a set of springs should be cheaper than one new ACCT; then you could rebuild yours.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement