Pressure??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Question Pressure???

I hope someone can help. I was fixing some oil leaks on my 85 VN700 and replaced the oil pan drain o-ring and the hard aluminum gasket on the bottom, but when I put a new bevel gear cover I had a problem. I drove it in using a large socket as a driver and the fit was very tight like the origional. But after I rode to work (28 mi), I was standing there taking my helmet off and the bevel gear cover simply fell out. I thought sh*t and put it back in with my fingers. I pulled it back out & took it inside to look at it. At lunch I went out with some rtv and tried to put it in, but with the engine cool and had to drive it in again. When I got home it fell out again. What the hell is the problem here? So I used adhesive rtv and tried again and it stays in but it's not real tight, I can wiggle it. BUT no leak...from there. Now oil leaks out the alternator wire hole. I sealed that and now the bevel gear cap leaks from the center. Do I have some kind of pressure pushing out? Bike runs like a top. Broken ring would allow pressure but would smoke or run bad, wouldn't it? No oil consumption otherwise. I did marble the bike, should I take them out? Is that causing pressure? Please help, parts falling off kinda worry me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Forum Faciliator

Re: Pressure???

I don't think you have an oil pressure problem. If so it would be the first I've ever heard of in over 100,00 posts on the yahoo forum.. The bevel cover does pop off once in a great while. It is a rare problem, but not unheard of on older bikes, the rubber gets old.. I'd say the problem is probably related to the way you installed the replacement. However, I've never had to replace this piece yet so I can't say first hand.

If you post your question to the yahoo fourm, [email protected]
someone that has done it might see your question and reply.

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

What do you have to do to get anyone to read and reply to your post? Title it under "FREE PERFECT VN750 DRIVESHAFT" or something?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Also I forgot to mention that I sealed the bevel gear cap and the oil leak has moved to the little allen plug near the fill hole.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 08:00 PM

Thumbs up Re: Pressure???

I know someone who has a black 86 VN750 and his bevel gear cover is wired on. He asked me why would someone do that and I could not figure why it would come off. I have a red 86 VN750, I have taken the Bevel gear off once did not touch the cover. My chrome cover is solid and looks to be original. I actually took off the bevel gear case to try to stop a oil leak and caused a bigger one (sometimes aluminum is not our friend). I did the moly grease on the driveshaft and the swingarm bearings. Good luck, and please let us know how you resolve this issue.
Ed Rountree
86 VN750
"Leonidas"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement