the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spockster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
exhaust manifold stud

So, my dumb ass broke off the stud on the front exhaust manifold. i was removing the right exhaust so i could install an engine guard. i soaked the cap nut and the surrounding area with penetrating oil before hand, but it was all so rusted that it didn't make a difference. the stud is too short to re-install the exhaust pipe now. i have been trying to get this bike up and running the past few weekends, but every time i start something i end up with a tool that will not work or find something else that needs replacing. so it has been going rather slowly. since i seem to be having the least amount of luck possible i am assuming that the stud is not a replaceable part and i will have to replace the entire manifold. it also looks like i might have to take the radiator off to get to the manifold. do any of you have any input? is that stud replaceable or do i need to get a whole new manifold? do i have to take the radiator off to get to it?

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 4300 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:10 PM

The stud is replaceable, but will require heat and maybe drilling to get it out.

If you can remove the manifold, an automotive machine shop could remove the stud for a few bucks.

Radiator should be removed to remove manifold.
Thorn likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I disagree. I have done that job & I was able to move only the top of the radiator. Remove the four 10mm bolts & let it be supported by the hoses. A couple more bolts & an electrical disconnect & the fan is out. Lots of room, no mess with coolant.

Cardboard against the radiator fins.

Hope that helps.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. i have already drained the coolant, though. i had to replace the fan switch. Plus the bike is a 2003 but it only has 3,000 miles. the original owner only but about 2,400 miles on it. i bought it in 2010 and it has been hit while it was parked 6 times (cagers in NYC are the most terrible people ever!). so until last summer, it was inoperable more than it wasn't. so even though it is 13 years old all the fluids were original. i thought it was a good ideal to go ahead and change the coolant and the oil, while i was looking at the splines and adding all the accessories i have bought. i guess the only real luck i have had is that the coolant and oil were still really clean and no real signs of being that old. The splines also are still almost perfect. there was zero lube on them, but they look really good.

anyway, sounds like getting the radiator out of the way isnt that bad. i guess i need to order some new crush plates so i can remove the manifold and drill out the stud. i guess its a good thing i grew up in an automotive shop. lubing the splines and replacing fork seals is becoming a bigger and bigger project every day!

again, thanks for the info. any and all tips are always appreciated!

Drew
Spline lube
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE:

I was able to get the exhaust manifold off pretty easily yesterday! knowing that i didnt have to completely remove the radiator was a big tip. now i am just waiting on the replacement studs and crush plates.

If I can keep from breaking anything else, i might have my bike back together before the end of summer.

Thanks!

Drew
Spline lube
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
KM style dash