Amsoil Chrome Oil Filter SMF-130C - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Amsoil Chrome Oil Filter SMF-130C

I bought an Amsoil Chrome oil filter AMF-103C for my 02 VN750.

After about 1000 miles it started leaking around the collar where the inside and outside of the filter joins together. Took filter off and installed an identical filter. Contacted Amsoil about it and they sent me another filter.

It is about 1000 miles since then and the second oil filter is starting to leak. Getting drips on the floor under the front of the bike. Will have to replace this one and try the one they sent me to replace the first one. I am starting to see a pattern here. Might want to stay away from this oil filter.

Will let you know what happens with the third filter after I change it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 11:19 PM

Question Re: Amsoil Chrome Oil Filter SMF-130C

I have the Emgo Chrome filters. Using my second one. (I bought six at one time) Thought I had a HD yesterday when I looked at the bike. I have a small leak/drip as well. Tightened the filter up a little and am monitoring to see if leak returns.
Don't know about the Amsoil ones.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:23 AM

Thumbs up Amsoil filters work well for me

I have black Amsoil filters on my VN750 and Suzuki and no leaks. I do screw 'em down pretty damn tight though.

-Bruce
Detroit

Metz ME880
Electrex R/R
WestCo
Coasters
Pro-Tac
Dex-Cool
Jardine Posa bar
Galfer SS lines
Progressive suspension

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 02:07 PM

Talking Re: Amsoil Chrome Oil Filter SMF-130C

try the walmart st filter, it is black, but it is a good filter, no problems reported, I have used 2 so far, and only 1.97 price!!! it is a filter for a mazda car I believe. number can be found in the archives where somebody made a filter list.
beavis
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 03:12 PM

Re: Amsoil Chrome Oil Filter SMF-130C

ST6607 (just put one on my scoot).

There's also supposed to be a longer version that fits, ST 2808, but I couldn't find it at my local WM
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Thumbs up Re: Amsoil Chrome Oil Filter SMF-103C

I am on my second Amsoil SMF-103C filter for my 1990 VN750 and am very happy with it. My first filter was on for about 4,500 miles without a single drip and I just replaced it with another one and so far (500 miles) I don't see any problems.

My opinion on this is simple... I may use cheap filters and oil in my cars, but not on my bike. I use the expensive Amsoil filters and 10w40 Amsoil oil because I know that they will not leave me on the side of the road. My bike and my peace of mind are worth it to me.

Now, the Amsoil website and guides claims that the SMF-103C is not for the year I have. They ask for me to use a SMF-102 in black (chrome not available), but I know that there is no difference in the mounting on the bike. The pad for the older VN750's is a little bigger, but the filter covers all the necessary holes.

So far, I've not had a problem...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement