Removing the front exhaust manifold-- - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Removing the front exhaust manifold--

Good morning all-- so I ended up buying the part bike I was talking about in my last post, (which by the way, once it is apart I am sure I will have plenty left over to talk about if anyone is looking) first thing I did was attempt to swap the exhaust, and of course I broke a stud on the manifold. Now, the other stud was already broke, not badly but too short for a nut. I am going to try to replace the studs, but since the studs on my 94 are so rusted I am expecting that they may break off in the process.. I searched the site and have not been able to find any information about removing the manifold, most post that mentioned the manifold trailed off to other subjects. Can anyone give me some insight as to how to remove it, and what to expect once I do (any seals etc.) my engine skills and knowledge are limited, but I do know my way around a wrench. From what I see I would have to remove the radiator and fan, do I need to drop the coolant?? etc.. also any tips for getting the studs out which obviously would make a 5 hr project a 5 min fix??? Thanks, appreciate any help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You don't need to remove the radiator to remove the manifolds.

You should soak the nuts/bolts in Penetrating Oil overnight before even attempting to remove them. This may have saved that stud.

You can loosen or remove the rest of the exhaust first to remove the headers.

As for getting the studs out, vice grips?

Use some anti seize compound on the threads on assembly so this doesn't happen again later.

Have you tried cleaning your rusted studs with a wire brush? Unless the threads are messed up there's no reason to replace them if it's just a bit of rust.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, definitely going to try to save the studs. I was looking to just purchase new ones but having a hard time finding them without having to wait on an order so I will most likely take them off the other bike. As for the penetrating oil... learned that lesson the hard way, after the first one broke I have been spraying the rest the last couple of nights and letting it soak in till I have time to get back to the repair.

You said I dont have to remove the radiator to get to the manifold? I guess there is enough room to just reach in and take it off? What about once it is removed, should I lube anything when I reinstall or just but the new one right back on? Sorry I know thats prob kind of basic but again my knowledge of engines is real minimal, but glad I have this part bike to learn on and you guys to turn to!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

The studs on the older bike are too short now so they will have to be swapped to be saved, the other side I will definitely clean up and add add anti-seize before reinstall.. hopefully that will be the end of it and I wont even need to swap the manifolds

Last edited by RCAZ115; 09-30-2015 at 01:34 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Old Fart

Garage
When you say manifold I assume you mean the header pipe....

Are you installing new crush gaskets ?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Crowley

The manifolds have copper crush rings between the engine and manifold. The pipes also have crush gaskets at the manifold.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:16 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin_old View Post
This is an example post in your phpBB 2 installation. You may delete this post, this topic and even this forum if you like since everything seems to be working!
Next time,soak em for a few days with pb blaster then hit them bad boys with a torch

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:17 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Have no clue where this quote came from

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

I could be wrong, like I said my engine knowledge is minimal, but the part that attaches to the front of the engine which the studs are attached to--I thought that was the manifold, and that that is where the header pipe attaches to, correct?? If so, how do I remove that part if I can not switch out the studs instead?? Would I be able to remove that piece from the engine without removing the radiator? As for the gaskets, thanks!! Actually had no idea, since there were none there when I took the pipe off-- I didnt realize there were suppose to be... I really wish I could figure out how to quote from your responses I have before but dosent seem to to be working today--- again tho thanks for the info!!

Im editing this because I think I need a quick lesson or a manual...lol I just searched on ebay to get a better idea of part names and came up with the same picture for exhaust header and front manifold... so now I am really lost... i feel like such a rookie... ha

Last edited by RCAZ115; 09-30-2015 at 05:23 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 PM

Here's for a repair manual to download, also an owner's manual. I'd say the radiator might need to come out to get the manifold off, but double check that.

Repair: https://www.vn750.com/forum/17-sell-s...anual-pdf.html

Owner's : OWNER'S MANUAL | INSPECTION SCREEN

The header/downpipe does go into the exhaust manifold.

On the studs, I have the best luck by alternating heat and soaking. Put some penetrating oil on it, heat with a propane torch so the oil wicks up the threads, let it cool. Repeat a few times and let sit with oil if you can.

Heat it again, then go at it with good curved jaw vise-grips, but I like a 4" pipe wrench. If you can get it to move, instead of taking it right out, twist it in/out a few times and add some lube. Of course, if it breaks off you'll have to drill it out. A machine shop would handle it if you have the manifold off.

Nevr-Seize is great anytime you put a steel threads into aluminum, especially where there's heat or moisture. (like spark plugs, water pumps, or manifolds)

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement