Overheating possibly Mech Seal? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Overheating possibly Mech Seal?

Took a long trip to NY on the bike and she rode great with the exception of it pegging at the last white line on the temp gauge on the way home, luckily the fan stayed on most of the ride home so I never seen it get to the red. I did notice on the way up, the bottom swing arm up was a little wet. I'm thinking it was coolant but didn't think anything of it at the time. Also the back of the rear cylinder had what I thought was oil. I read that if oil is leaking from the rear weep hole it was the spark plug tube. I luckily had the spark plug tube o-rings on hand so I swapped them out once I got to where I was going, but still seen the rear part of the engine wet on the way home. Is it possible if the mechanical seal is bad, it allows coolant to escape out of the same weep hole? I'm thinking my issue is here as I got the 89 accord fail safe thermostat and swapped that in last night and bled the system but she was still getting too hot idling. So I'm thinking its something with the impeller/mech seal. Any thoughts of what to try. Nothing shows a leak anywhere else but the rear cylinder under the manifold and swing arm.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Crowley

check the hose clamp on the radiator hose that runs along your frame, just under the tank, and connects above the rear cylinder. Mine was loose.

Also, maybe got too hot and overflowed your overflow?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

All clamps are tight and no leaks are found near any of the hoses. The only spots were the swing arm and behind the rear cylinder that seems to flows down to the bevel gear.

1992 Vulcan 750.

Last edited by theone2043; 07-09-2015 at 11:49 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post
All clamps are tight and no leaks are found near any of the hoses. The only spots were the swing arm and behind the rear cylinder that seems to flows down to the bevel gear.
Any way you can get a (possibly labeled) picture of the area?

Edit - follow the hose coming off the top right of the plastic coolant overflow tank, and see if it is possible it's coming from there.

Other than that, I'm not too familiar with the coolant areas very well. Just found out I'm leaking from what might be the weep hole on the bottom of my engine - haven't even looked into it yet lol.

Last edited by crowley1027; 07-09-2015 at 11:28 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:59 AM

if the mechanical seal failed wouldn't you have water in the oil?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitecrazy View Post
if the mechanical seal failed wouldn't you have water in the oil?
Don't know. Maybe it's burning off in there. I ordered a new mech seal, it's been dripping out the weep hole at running revs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Well I replaced the mech seal and impeller, which wasn't too bad of a job. Found a lot of crud and coolant that was broken down and looked like mud. Cleaned out the weep hole to remove all debris that was in there. But went to fire it up and noticed a leak, I think the radiator patch job is starting to fail. Might get a better idea tonight of where the leak is on the radiator.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement