How doest it sound? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

How does it sound?

I've been thinking about degoating with a "H" bypass kit. It is said that most are quite happy with the sound. How would you describe the sound? What would you compare it to? I want a deeper more throaty rumble that's a tad louder on my 05 VN750, but I don't want it too loud. I know "if it's too loud you're too old" well I'm 62 1/2 years young and I feel that my stock exhaust is a bit too quiet. On a scale of 1 to 10 my stock exhaust is a 2, I would like to go to a 5 or 6. Would degoating and keeping my stock mufflers get me about there? Thanks.

Mike

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Re: How doest it sound?

I tried the de-goat, and did not like it. I didn't try the H-pipe, which does improve the sound, but it was really loud to me. I put my goat belly back on, and discovered that the modifications I did to the baffles in an attempt to improve the de-goat sound made the stock mufflers with the goat belly a lot louder. (I would give it a 5 on your sound scale)

The changes I made were based loosely on some of the posts I have read here and on other sites. Remove the screen on the front side of the baffle, and drill holes around the collar from the back (It seems like Beavis had some pics of this on his site) That really made the biggest difference in sound. Basically, instead of running all of the noise through the baffling, you allow it run straight out the back. I'll try to look where I saw the pictures of the drilling and make sure I was right.

Just my opinion.

Yes, the pictures were on Beavis' personal webpage. See the "Wow, real bike sound" posting.

Russ
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Hey Sarg, I have a set of Jardine slash-cuts on my bike that sort of sounds like the Harley in the opening of the TV show American Thunder. I would prefer mine to be stock. I like quiet bikes. I would be happy to trade my Jardine set for a stock set. Steve.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I can't help you there Steve. I still have my stock pipes and mufflers. The only thing that I replaced is the pre-muffler(goat's belly) with a "H" by-pass set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve28761
Hey Sarg, I have a set of Jardine slash-cuts on my bike that sort of sounds like the Harley in the opening of the TV show American Thunder. I would prefer mine to be stock. I like quiet bikes. I would be happy to trade my Jardine set for a stock set. Steve.

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:31 AM

Re: How does it sound?

Hi Mike: I just installed the ScootWorks degoat kit on my 2000 VN750 (didn't touch the stock exhaust and won't) and the sound level is probably a 6 or 7 on your scale. It is louder than I had hoped (I have similar concerns to yours), but marbling to reduce popping seemed to also take some of the bark out of the sound. I still have some popping on deceleration, even though I replaced the engine exhaust gaskets, but its not offensive.

I am going to take the bike over to a muffler shop and have them weld in an "H" cross over, as a way to further reduce the volume and pitch.

The volume is certainly not as loud as the straight pipes on most of the big bikes (if you are using that as the 10 - the 6 would be about right), and so far have been ok with the volume, which is most noticeable on acceleration. At cruise speed, I notice it less. People certainly hear me coming now, and that does add a certain amount of safety.

I have not made any changes (not even the idle screw adjustment so far) that will not let me go back to stock (if California smog or my personal preferences require the change back). The engine runs great and is very reliable, and I don't want to affect that.

but marbling to reduce popping seemed to also take some of the bark out of the sound. I still have some popping on deceleration, even though I replaced the engine exhaust gaskets, but its not offensive.

I am going to take the bike over to a muffler shop and have them weld in an "H" cross over, as a way to further reduce the volume and pitch.

The volume is certainly not as loud as the straight pipes on most of the big bikes (if you are using that as the 10 - the 6 would be about right), and so far have been ok with the volume, which is most noticeable on acceleration. At cruise speed, I notice it less. People certainly hear me coming now, and that does add a certain amount of safety. But I can ride through residential neighborhoods (especially my own) with outcringing - especially if I take it easy and keep the revs down.

I have not made any changes (not even the idle screw adjustment so far) that will not let me go back to stock (if California smog or my personal preferences require it). The engine runs great and is very reliable, and I don't want to affect that.

I have noticed that I no longer have the 5-10 minute wait period before the bike would idle without some choke - am actually able to lower the idle to about 600 rpm. Low end torque seems if anything to be improved, and I didn't notice the buzz at medium rpms that used to be there.

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mike
I've been thinking about degoating with a "H" bypass kit. It is said that most are quite happy with the sound. How would you describe the sound? What would you compare it to? I want a deeper more throaty rumble that's a tad louder on my 05 VN750, but I don't want it too loud. I know "if it's too loud you're too old" well I'm 62 1/2 years young and I feel that my stock exhaust is a bit too quiet. On a scale of 1 to 10 my stock exhaust is a 2, I would like to go to a 5 or 6. Would degoating and keeping my stock mufflers get me about there? Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement