Manual cam chain tensioners - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Manual cam chain tensioners

Has anyone ever used these manual cam chain tensioners? Pros and cons.

http://www.zxzone.com/sprockets.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Re: Manual cam chain tensioners

Mike,

I just received mine last week. I have installed them but have not had time to put many miles on the bike yet. The 750 is my first bike and I was not sure what kind of noises were normal. After reading the posts here and finding the manual tensioners, I decided to try them. The engine is a lot quieter now.

One problem is they are to long. The coolant reservoir will not fit without cutting the adjustment bolt off. I sawed off the bolt and will replace the end with an acorn nut. I have taken a lot of digital pictures. How do I post the pictures here?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:13 AM

About those manual tensioners, did you post the pics anywhere and how well has it been working out for you?

Justin
2003 VN750
almost 27000 miles
second stator and still goin

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 AM

I have about 300 miles on them now and all is good. I feel more confident in the bike (not always listening for the chain noise) and it is running smooth.

Leftside photo is after I sawed off the bolt, RightSide photo shows bolt before triming. I have shorten both and added a new lock nut to the ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftSide.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	24   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightSide.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	25  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:34 PM

Smile Re: Manual cam chain tensioners

Looks awesome, seriously thinking of doing it myself now. Was it a long procedure to install ( did you need to remove side engine cover and make sure it was at TDC), and how much did it run you in the end?
Justin
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:15 PM

I followed gypsy’s web site instructions and set TDC for each cylinder. The adjusters came with some short generic instructions. Basically, I installed the adjuster (with TDC set) and finger adjusted the tension until I just felt contact with the cam chain, started the engine and tweaked a little more until noise stopped. Check at different RPMs and lock the adjuster down. Reset TDC for next cylinder and do the same.

I paid $108 delivered for two adjusters. Now I am looking for a chrome acorn nut to place on the sawed off bolt (3/8 16).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 PM

problem fixed?

Did the manual tensioner work for you? I just bought an 01 Vn750 with 20k miles and it has the same problem, previous owner said he replaced the ACCT 8k mi ago and it fixed the problem for about 1k miles, then returned for the next 7k mi.

Given that he drove it that long with the clanking chain noise and that the new ACCT didn't fix the problem, should I assume that the idler sprocket or the cam chain guide have been worn down too much?

Thanks, this forum is fantastic!

Ben
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome Ben, you've dug up a 3 year old thread. LOL

There are several recent thread around here on this subject, and in the Verses as well. You might want to look up the "Grambo trick" and try it for starters.

Since there's no way to know for sure what the PO did or why, you pretty much have to start from scratch.

There's also a thread on lubricating the ACCT as the one on the front cylinder does not get or hold oil very well due to it's mounting angle.

You don't know for sure what mileage the PO changed them, if he used new ones, or bought something used somewhere, etc.

How does the bike run now, and is it noisy enough that it sounds like the engine is about to come apart?

I wouldn't assume the chain/sprockets are worn out just yet, but it is possible.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Calif Rider

The manuel MCCT's are very easy to install, the adjustment sometimes is a little hard to get just right. Several other's and I have converted the ACCT"S to MCCT's. This can be done for a small price of about 10.00 dollors. In the threads you can find all the info about how to do this and what type of bolts, washers, and nuts to use. The usual trouble is finding a place that has the right type of thread, and length of the bolts to use. Check into this if you are really interested, and with same threads it will give you the info of how to adjusts the MCCT's LOL

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I doubt the cam guides are worn at this point. The noise is mostly harmless unless a guide was not installed correctly. If that is the case, you would most likely have metal filings in the oil. At least, that's what happened to mine.

As an aside, how did you resurrect a 3 plus year old thread with all the recent ACCT/MCCT questions out there? BTW, most folks here either build their own MCCT out of the ACCT or buy from TOC manufacturing since their MCCTs don't require a coolant bottle mod to fit the rear cylinder.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement