wondering about sparkplugs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
berzerker1982-BL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 213
iTrader: (1)
 
wondering about sparkplugs

So while changing oiltoday i noticed. My spark plugs were loose and while tightining.i was afraid to tighten up too much just couldent feel them bottoming out. So i just tightened them up until. They felt tight and called it good.
How hard is it to strip the threads ? Was scared to tighten up too much....o and sorry for all the. Periods as the site dosent. Seem to like my phone....
berzerker1982-BL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein
 
jadabull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 1,536
iTrader: (6)
 
The threads can and will strip if over torqued. I just snug them using only one hand on the ratchet. Don't quote me but I thing torque value for the plugs is around 14 ft/lbs


.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
jadabull is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
berzerker1982-BL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 213
iTrader: (1)
 
I figured as much....i hand tightened them and then went around half a turn beyond that....
Stupid ? But say they get stripped is there a fix for that?
berzerker1982-BL is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein
 
jadabull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 1,536
iTrader: (6)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerker1982-BL View Post
I figured as much....i hand tightened them and then went around half a turn beyond that....
Stupid ? But say they get stripped is there a fix for that?

Nope not stupid, lots of people hand tighten then give 1/4-1/2 extra turn. As far as a fix for striping the thread.....you'd probably have to get a used head unless you could re-tap (of course while the head was removed from the motor) the threads and use a larger plug but I would just buy a used head from someone here or fleabay for around $50.

Oh and I was slighty off on the torque value, it should be around 12 ft/lbs. Hope this helps.


.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
jadabull is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
kc2dgq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,353
iTrader: (13)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabull View Post
Nope not stupid, lots of people hand tighten then give 1/4-1/2 extra turn. As far as a fix for striping the thread.....you'd probably have to get a used head unless you could re-tap (of course while the head was removed from the motor) the threads and use a larger plug but I would just buy a used head from someone here or fleabay for around $50.

Oh and I was slighty off on the torque value, it should be around 12 ft/lbs. Hope this helps.
Jada.....I believe the threaded part of the spark plug well can be removed and replaced.

part number 92066-1224 PLUG,CYLINDER HEAD

You use the rear axle nut (or equivilent) to remove the plug wells which have a seal behind them. This is the piece the spark plug threads into.....is it not?
kc2dgq is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein
 
jadabull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 1,536
iTrader: (6)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
Jada.....I believe the threaded part of the spark plug well can be removed and replaced.

part number 92066-1224 PLUG,CYLINDER HEAD

You use the rear axle nut (or equivilent) to remove the plug wells which have a seal behind them. This is the piece the spark plug threads into.....is it not?
I don't think the op is talking about the plug retainers but where the plug actually screws into the head. The well sits around the plug the plug doesn't thread into the well. Sorry if I am not understanding you.


.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
jadabull is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabull View Post
I don't think the op is talking about the plug retainers but where the plug actually screws into the head. The well sits around the plug the plug doesn't thread into the well. Sorry if I am not understanding you.
I believe Jada is right on what the OP was asking,. I would also advise a little anti-sieze on the plug threads to keep them from corroding to the aluminum head. I just tighten them with one hand and use it on the ratchet head with the handle sticking out.snug and a 1/4 seems about right.




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,789
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerker1982-BL View Post
But say they get stripped is there a fix for that?
Yes. They are called Heli-coils.
Any well equipped shop can do this for you for less than buying all the needed tools yourself.

Might be a good idea to get yourself a torque wrench....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 06-08-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Knifemaker is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein
 
jadabull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: florida
Posts: 1,536
iTrader: (6)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes. They are called Heli-coils.
Any well equipped shop can do this for you for less than buying all the needed tools yourself.

Might be a good idea to get yourself a torque wrench....
Thanks KM, I want to check into these. I don't plan on stripping anything, but.......


.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
jadabull is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Ndr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 856
iTrader: (10)
 
I've used Heli-coils a couple of times with good success.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Ndr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome