Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Stator and Oil

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  thtanner 
#1 · (Edited)
Stator and Oil ***solved***

So the mechanic workin on my bike told me he found another problem... a cover or somethin over the stator he took off revealed a leak from somewhere (a seal) that was leakin oil into the stator and he said it has to be fixed or it'll mess up the stator.

is this true?

I thought it didn't matter if Oil got in there?

I had a Chinese scoot (250cc Roketa Eagle) ... think it was a chinese... anyway, it had oil all up inside where it had its stator... and it didn't seem to have an issues for the year I rode it ... so ? o_O

Help? lol

EDIT---------
Nevermind, i found a couple threads explaining this when I went to search for stator side crank case seal ... lol.

I searched prior but apparently I fail at searching. :p

See less See more
#2 ·
The stator is supposed to be bathed in oil. I'm not really sure what he's talking about based on that description.

#3 ·
well, from what he said to me he it seems he was assuming that there should be no oil whatsoever in the stator area. I thought so too at first, but i remember other scooters and bikes I've had that have "wet" stators.

I went and searched for the seal and ran across some other threads here about this exact same scenario so thats what i mentioned to him.

#4 ·
It sounds like you should bring your bike home and work on it yourself. You seem to know as much or more than that clown.

#5 ·
You need to find a bike mechanic, not some repurposed car wrench turner. Trust us on this, Many bike stators run in the oil. Heck, with the stator cover off you can see there the oil all cap is directly over the rotor and stator.

Take the bike home asap before that fool damages your engine!

#6 · (Edited)
An overy high oil lever can affect the pickup coils that feed off the stator, but a quality stator should be sealed....I think they use laquer over the coils...but if the actual pickup points are in a constant level of oil, it could affect.....make sure youre not overfilled....

A stator shoudnt be "bathed" in oil....at most just "showered"....look at your oil level sight glass....then look at the stator level at the bottom....should be about even....if you place yer bike on the centerstand, remove the 3 screws covering the stator, oil should not flow out.....

#7 ·
bathed... showered... semantics aside the point was the stator is in contact with oil. If you read the main post, he stated the mechanic was trying to say there was a bad seal due to the fact there was oil around the stator, which is clearly not accurate information or advice.

#8 ·
Well....IMO, "bathed" means emersed to me....tells me its an overfill....a "showering" is a slight constant coating (normal)....no semantics.....

Ive had my crank overful due to a stuck float (gas went into the crancase)...regardless...when on the center stand, and one removes that side cover, no oil should leak out at all if at the proper level (sight glasses can lie due to moisture/dirty oil too)....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.