Need exhaust guard? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Need exhaust guard?

Smelled something burning when I was at a light in town today. Had done a short run out the highway and back. Got home and all seemed OK. Came in and found I had burned thru my left pant leg! Seems baggy pants rest on the exhaust where it exits the cylinder on the left side.

I think I need an exhaust guard to keep my pantaloons off the exhaust. It is also possible that the engine is running too lean--it did stop at idle at one stop light. Rode great the rest of the time.

Anyone else have this issue? Even if I'm running lean I don't think my pants resting on the exhaust is a good thing!

ArkTinkerer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Exhausts always can burn pants....burned em on my Harley that had no guards.....left side eh....I might have a stock one....need to check.....I dont use em because they get in the way of my mods....I got all kinds of heatshields layin around......

PM me if I forget....I dont come here daily no more.....

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust isn't stock. Was done by previous owner. Don't think first part of the headers have changed though. Ordered a shield with a bend for left side off ebay. Still could use a straight for the right though.

Got a pair of Harley mufflers to replace the small ones on this bike. Think they augered out the baffles on the ones on the bike. I really don't like it so loud. Need to cut the existing pipes to put the new ones on but I can do that. May have to bend them out a bit as the new ones are a larger diameter. I can't do that--or at least can't do it well. I read about some of you having exhaust mods. Who do you go to for stainless pipe work? None of the local exhaust shops will touch it. Adding a crossover pipe seems out of the question for them.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

While I think it looks like crap some people wrap asbestos tape on exhaust with bikes that have a lot of exposed exhaust like my old nighthawk.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I don't usually like a lot of chrome or polished steel on a car and especially not on a jeep/truck but it is nice on a motorcycle. Does seem to make it a problem to have custom exhaust done though!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 PM

Send "Okiebezer" a PM and ask him nice to take pics of his system....I designed it....he's very happy with it.....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 PM

https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...o=3747&cat=769

This is a side pix. Balanced on both sides, rather than the off set muffs that are stock. I really like the way they turned out.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:37 PM

Instead of using a wrap, I got some flexpipe and slipped it over...works as a heatshield, and also dresses it up....it can be polished....and i dont know of anyone who wastes money making exhaust from stainless...it wont do what ya think it will...better off sending it out to get chromed....

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Covering with flex is a great idea!

Shied away from sending out for chrome. Don't know much about it and thought it would be pricey. If I do go that route, it would have to wait until this winter. Not going to take my bike down for the first full summer I have it!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM

Ya gotta use the good stuff though....else the crappy stuff rusts too fast....I get mine from NAPA....they sell it in rolls, lol....ya polish it up nice....and I "think" they make a high heat clear paint to seal.....my bike rarely sits long enough to rust too bad, lol....

Just check the OD of existing and ID of the flex....mine slipped over tight, but nice...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-Flex-...#ht_1321wt_851

(example)....I brought my rear header pipe and made sure....

Last edited by Wolfie; 04-22-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement