Terrible engine noise and backfiring - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Terrible engine noise and backfiring

Hi Guys,

I just bought a '03 VN750 that had been sitting for 5 years. I rebuilt the carbs and petcock and it was running perfect after that, I mean really purring. I took it down the block and when I stopped at an intersection it stalled. When restarted there was a terrible engine noise and the bike backfires. It stalls at idle.

It sounds pretty bad. What do you guys think? Any ideas? It sounds to me like it could be a timing chain problem.

The forum won't let me post a link to the video of it on youtube until I have 5 posts.

it is youtube code 5wEel-EXbYA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Proud owner of 2 VN750s!

Have you tried adjusting your air/fuel screw and the idle adjustment screw on your carbs?

The other engine noise could be your ACCTs. Do a search for "Grambo trick" and try that first. Then look into changing them to MCCTs. There's a sticky thread on that conversion in this same forum.

Last edited by Yankee; 04-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Wild problem there, you rebuilt your carby's and fuel tap,rode it down the street,stalled it and now it backfires and snuffs. Weird , did you rev it high, did you engine brake very hard,is your battery cherry?

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I've been working on it and I have more information. Did a compression test, front cyl has 0 psi. Checked cam chain and cam timing, its good. It appears that the left side intake valve is not closing. I can see where the cam follower rests on top of the valve and it doesn't look right, it is off to the side a little bit, and the valve stem is way down in the hole. I guess the engine will have to come out at least because as you guys know there is no room to work in there. I wonder if the valve trashed the piston or vice versa.

Do you think too much oil pressure could pump up the hyd lifter too much and cause this? The bike has 5 year old oil in it, I wanted to at least warm it up before changing it but that could have been a mistake.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

When reading post #1, one of my first thoughts was there Oil in the engine....
Kept quiet.... thinking must be other major engine issues...engine pull time !

This will be another interesting thread....pls keep us updated.
Good luck....hope all are minor issues dollar/labor wise
tia

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 04-12-2014 at 10:25 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 11:07 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

i have a good connecting rod and piston head from a rear cylinder that i can sell for cheap if you need it and i need to check it but i think i have a front head that is useable let me know if you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Here is the bike (most of it)

This is what it looks like now

Front head looking down, notice the crooked rocker arm on the left intake valve? I don't know how that could have happened but my current theory is the baike sat for 5 years and the lash adjuster leaked down, causing enough slop in the rocker arm that it fell off the valve.

Intake cam partially ground down but still usable I think. The valve keepers are off, probably because the rocker was pushing down on the washer and not the valve stem. The amazing thing is the valve moves smoothly, I don't think it's bent at all. The lash adjuster was fully pumped up and same length as one of the other ones. I reused it (after soaking in oil and pumping).

I rigged up my air compressor to the compression tester to fill the cylinder with 100 psi air to hold the valve up tightly. No hissing sound so that is a good sign.

Reinstalling the valve keepers with an improvised tool.

The engine is back together and it has good compression. Next step is reassembling the bike.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

I think my engine is going to be OK. The keepers came off the intake valve but the valve doesn't seem to be damaged. Cam has a bit won off one side but it looks usable. I reassembled it without removing the head and now it has good compression. Now I just need to put the engine back in the bike.

I posted a bunch of pictures here yesterday but the post never showed up. Maybe due to the external links.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I found the cause of all the problems. The oil filter was clogged. When I installed the engine the bike started right up and sounded fine but the oil light was on. I had added new oil but no filter change (didn't have one yet and I've never experienced a clogged filter before).

Just a trickle of oil came out of the hole when pressure switch was removed, but when oil filter was removed it spurted oil. With new oil filter the oil light is off and it's running fine and sounds quiet.

With no oil pressure the lash adjuster compressed and allowed the rocker to come off the valve. I'm thankful it did because had it not happened I would have kept going until the engine destroyed itself. The oil light was probably on the first time I rode the bike but it only got about 300 feet before dying. It was the first time riding a VN750 and in bright sunlight, I must have missed the light.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkram View Post
I found the cause of all the problems. The oil filter was clogged. When I installed the engine the bike started right up and sounded fine but the oil light was on. I had added new oil but no filter change (didn't have one yet and I've never experienced a clogged filter before).

Just a trickle of oil came out of the hole when pressure switch was removed, but when oil filter was removed it spurted oil. With new oil filter the oil light is off and it's running fine and sounds quiet.

With no oil pressure the lash adjuster compressed and allowed the rocker to come off the valve. I'm thankful it did because had it not happened I would have kept going until the engine destroyed itself. The oil light was probably on the first time I rode the bike but it only got about 300 feet before dying. It was the first time riding a VN750 and in bright sunlight, I must have missed the light.
Cool.glad it wasn't something serious

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird