Right side engine cover removal - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Angry Right side engine cover removal

I am in the process of replacing the water pump seal in my 1995 VN 750.
I have everything removed up to the point of removing the right side cover. All bolts removed, etc.
Here is the problem. The cover is held to the block by the gasket, gasket seal , and time. I've tried everything I can think of to get it loose. Hammer and 2x4. Prying with a screwdriver,but afraid to try too hard because I don't want to damage the surfaces.
I know it is a no brainer, but has anyone done it recently? If so how did you persuade the cover to come loose?
I'd appreciate ay suggestions.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 08:08 PM

Re: Right side engine cover removal

There is two small bosses on the cover specifically for prying to loosen it. I think they're on the top and bottom, but I could be wrong. Get a BFS (big f***ing screwdriver) or prybar and pry on these spots. Hosing down the parting line and bolt holes with some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil may also help the process.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Right side engine cover removal

This is embarrasing. I overlooked the two bolts in the middle of the cover. I removed them and the cover just about fell off.
Bob

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppbobby
This is embarrasing. I overlooked the two bolts in the middle of the cover. I removed them and the cover just about fell off.
Bob
...at least you're man enough to admit it. :-)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Bob
I've done the same thing in other applications. I was pulling a motor out of an 80 something Chevy truck once, and couldn't figure out what was holding it up from coming out. I gave the cherry picker one more pump, and busted the trans bellhousing where the last bolt was still threaded in... D'oh...!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Bob
Right on at least it was something simple...ooops
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 PM

bolt placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppbobby View Post
I am in the process of replacing the water pump seal in my 1995 VN 750.
I have everything removed up to the point of removing the right side cover. All bolts removed, etc.
Here is the problem. The cover is held to the block by the gasket, gasket seal , and time. I've tried everything I can think of to get it loose. Hammer and 2x4. Prying with a screwdriver,but afraid to try too hard because I don't want to damage the surfaces.
I know it is a no brainer, but has anyone done it recently? If so how did you persuade the cover to come loose?
I'd appreciate ay suggestions.
Bob

ive taken mine off however i lost the images saved to put back the bolts correctly. do you have any images, ive looked at the diagram/ parts chart but it doesnt give all the bolt
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelen View Post
ive taken mine off however i lost the images saved to put back the bolts correctly. do you have any images, ive looked at the diagram/ parts chart but it doesnt give all the bolt
You'll have to look at the cover, note the different offsets on the bolt holes, try to choose the right bolt, insert it into the hole. Before threading the bolt in, note how much of the bolt is sticking out, try other bolts close to the right length. When you have the bolt you think is correct, thread it in carefully while watching the head of the bolt. If the bolt starts to tighten up before the bolt head contacts the cover, stop, remove the bolt and try the next shorter bolt.

As long as you get all the bolts into holes, and they don't bottom out before being tight, it will be good.

Some are obvious where they go, the longest ones will go in the deepest holes. Shortest in the shortest holes.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement