Help identify the source of this leak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Help identify the source of this leak

Hi, I am still trying to identify exactly what is it that I need to replace to fix my oil leak.
So just to recap:

Bike slowly leaks oil only when running from the coolant weep hole. See picture below. Now I definitely confirmed this. There are no other leaks anywhere else.

So I was told to replace the oil seal that sits on the other side of the mechanical seal. But now when I'm looking at the diagrams and pictures I cannot find this seal. And the one I found in the diagram doesn't make any sense to me.

Is this the right part?

This diagram looks somewhat different from the actual picture of the crankcase. And looking at the pictures it's hard to understand how this seal is responsible for the leak.

Here is the pic of the crankcase split

Last edited by Clone; 03-01-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
i don't see any pictures
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Pics won't load for me for some reason, but the oil seal is in the case and mechanical seal sits outside. That seal keeps oil out of the coolant and vise versa, if it is leaking that seal needs to be replaced. The part you have circled is the oil seal The part # for the mechanical seal is 49063-1057 and I would replace both along with the bearings.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )

Last edited by jadabull; 03-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Also the seal doesn't go where you have the red pointer, that is where the oil screen goes. The water pump along with seals and bearings goes right above that.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, had some issues with my home server. Pics work ok now.

This is what NDR told me in the other thread.May be I misunderstood the whole mechanical seal thing... I still cannot find the oil seal in question on the diagram..

That looks like the weep hole below the water pump. If your leaking oil out of that hole, the oil seal around the water pump shaft is going bad. OR This was caused by the higher then normal oil level. It's possible that the higher oil lever caused greater then normal presser and forced oil past the seal.

The oil seal sits behind a bearing on the inside of the case. Only way to replace it is to split the engine case and pull out the bearing.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabull View Post
Also the seal doesn't go where you have the red pointer, that is where the oil screen goes. The water pump along with seals and bearings goes right above that.
I thought so, but this is where the leak is. I just cannot figure out how that seal is responsible for that leak. Or is there something else that I cannot see in the pictures?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Also, I spoke to a couple of mechanics and the bill to fix it would be somewhere around 1k.
So I'm trying to find a creative way to fix the leak without taking it all apart. Maybe something can be done from the mechanical seal side?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

If you wanna get creative do it yourself, lol. I'm doing the same thing right now ,you'll take more pride in it too. Is that not your case in the photos above? If so the jobs already half done.that weep hole is channeled up into the waterpump shaft housing, when the oilseal goes you'll see oil outta the weep hole, when the mech seal goes you'll see coolant or water.

You can't change the oil seal from the outside because that chamber is shaped like an hour glass, not just a smooth bore. Like I said though to save a headache in the future ide replace both seals and both bearings.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

No, unfortunately it's not my crankcase. And I really cannot do it myself. I have no space, no tools and most important no skills.
Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth the money and the pain to fix it. And what exactly to fix.

So I did find the correct part to replace? It is 92049?

Also how about an idea? What if instead of replacing it I would somehow reinforce the mechanical seal to make sure it's good and strong and then silicone the **** out of the weep hole?

Is there any free space between 92045B and 92049?
Can I try to come up with additional seal in there? Maybe some liquid sealer injected under right under 92049?

Last edited by Clone; 03-01-2014 at 05:18 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
No, unfortunately it's not my crankcase. And I really cannot do it myself. I have no space, no tools and most important no skills.
Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth the money and the pain to fix it. And what exactly to fix.

So I did find the correct part to replace? It is 92049?

Also how about an idea? What if instead of replacing it I would somehow reinforce the mechanical seal to make sure it's good and strong and then silicone the **** out of the weep hole?

Is there any free space between 92045B and 92049?
Can I try to come up with additional seal in there?
that weep hole is there to worn you something has broke, and its done its job. if you seal it up you wont know whats goin on with your bike and will lead to worse things. its up to you, if you fix it they are fun bikes, but at a $1000 or more repair you get get a different engine which is easy to replace with minimal tools and skills. And yes that's the correct part number, but like I said if your already in there might as well spend another $40 and replace both seals and bearings.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement