Systemic problem? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Systemic problem?

I have begun to notice front cylinder failures in a small number of engines.
The failures are Terminal, broken rods,bent valves,damaged cases.
The front cylinder timing chain replacement, requires the engine removal, could the nature of this service, and it's inherent nuisance be contributing to neglect and the subsequent catastrophic failures.
in the old days the shops used to charge ten hours labour, for an engine pull and refit on a SOHC CB 750, plus the internal engine work and parts.
Human nature being what it is, this service can often be left a little too long.
What's your opinion on the suspicion?

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
i think you are diving too deep into problems that don't exist. just fix whats broken, if its running right just keep maintaining your bike.

A big problem you see to the rise of problems in general is that there are a lot of Vulcans being brought back to life after years of sitting and neglect. these bikes were made to ride the snot out of em, and not be parked for long amounts of times.

Since I notice you are becoming paranoid about everything on your bike, may I make a suggestion... either buy a parts bike, or do a 100% frame up restoration... or do both. personally if I was as worried about all these issues I would go with at least a second engine and rebuild it with brand new crank, pistons, valves, springs, bearings, TOC Cam Chain Tensioners... yadayada... then have complete brand new engine. Replace all the factory wiring with a custom harness, Get a TPE Stator, MOFSET R/R, an ignetech cdi box with ignetech racing pickup coils, a pair of Acell Super Coils running NGK wires and plugs. Top the whole electrical package off with LED lights and a HID headlight and a n aluminum cooling fan... Then move on to the suspension with Progressiv springs front and back. Get a final drive from a VN1500 along with the drive shaft, and swing arm... have a machine shop combined the front half of your vn750 swing arm and drive shaft to the vn1500 back half so you can mount up the vn1500 final drive... now presto, you have a flawless brand new bike for only 9,000 bucks that should last you another 40 years or so...

OR you could just let go of your paranoia and fix the little problems you have right now, and keep maintaining your bike like the book says to, and ride for many years to come, and just worry about problems that might happen when they do happen.

Bottom line... Do what your wallet can afford.... We have a member on here that claims well over 200,000 on two bikes, one bike had (IIRC) 160,000 on it before he sold it with out even touching a stator. but then again like I said.. he bought his bike new, and never parked it for longer than a week.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Done that with a Harley,Triumph, and a Honda four, and to a degree with the old ute I drive.
Paying premium to some Trades men who on occasions were quite disappointing, and of course, doing it myself, where possible.
Just cause I'm paranoid, doesn't mean things aren't up for service or replacement.
It just means I'm careful.

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
what I was implying between the lines is that I would first fix whats broken... MCCT conversion (I read that on another post), Timing chain should be fine, but if the grambo trick didn't fix the Tic, then it would need new chains ASAP (replace both not one at a time please if you have to replace one). If you are having issues with your front cylinder, the number one culprit is the pickup coils, second is the ignition coils, thirdly is the Ignition control module, and lastly is mechanical failure.

And before doing anything else get you manual... they are free HERE. I have the Factory service manual in both print and PDF Format, along with my Climber manual, and the PDF Factory manual is my go to manual 99% of the time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

I've had more trouble keeping my front chain tight even with manual tensioners. The cam chains on these bikes are the weak link, hehe. The ACCTs should be replaced before the bike is even ridden when new.

I adjust my manual tensioners by hand only, and only enough to remove noise while running when cold and on the center stand. If this method does not work, your cam chain is stretched, or your chain guide is worn thru. There's only so much you can do with a 30+ year old design- the top end is a symphony of whirring and ticking. Notice I said symphony and not cacophony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement