running temp question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

running temp question

so i got this new bike it needs some work it runs and everything but needs a carb clean and shift linkage i also noticed a few things like while it was running the front cyclinder exhaust was very hot and the back was only warm the pipe one the front is rain bowed pretty heavy but the back is not does the front run hotter is that normal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
2014 KLR 650!

I'm not sure but mine is like that too. My carbs are synched as well and the front seems to thump a little harder than the rear and runs a bit leaner I think. Try adjusting the air mix screw. Screw it all the way in, then 2.5 turns out. Turning it out (counter clockwise) DECREASES the amount of oxygen. (check me on this one boys)

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:14 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
I'm not sure but mine is like that too. My carbs are synched as well and the front seems to thump a little harder than the rear and runs a bit leaner I think. Try adjusting the air mix screw. Screw it all the way in, then 2.5 turns out. Turning it out (counter clockwise) DECREASES the amount of oxygen. (check me on this one boys)
Sounds VERY logical to me......

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

it was just something i noticed im glad someone else did too
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

While a slight difference between cylinders is normal the difference you're discribing is pretty severe, probably more than the air mix screw is going to fix. I'd sispect that the slow jet for your front cylinder is partially plugged. That of your float level is off a tad.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM

Dunno if anyone here has tried it, but on one of my Harleys when one cyl was runnin hot, I dropped down a number on my spark plug (colder plug)....worked like a charm...

And my front cyl always ran a lil hotter (on both motors)....could be because its shielded from the oncoming wind by the radiator....hmmm....I may design a set of fins to channel air in right behind the radiator....easy enough to do....

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
While a slight difference between cylinders is normal the difference you're discribing is pretty severe, probably more than the air mix screw is going to fix. I'd sispect that the slow jet for your front cylinder is partially plugged. That of your float level is off a tad.
your prolly right on that it def needs a carb clean the first thing i noticed was the rainbowing on the pipe

"So, Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take valves out, fix 'em, put 'em back in and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?"

The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over and whispered to the mechanic ...

"Try doing it with the engine running!"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Dunno if anyone here has tried it, but on one of my Harleys when one cyl was runnin hot, I dropped down a number on my spark plug (colder plug)....worked like a charm...

And my front cyl always ran a lil hotter (on both motors)....could be because its shielded from the oncoming wind by the radiator....hmmm....I may design a set of fins to channel air in right behind the radiator....easy enough to do....
ill have to get the carbs done up and try that this is only my 2nd v twin bike so im kinda figuring some stuff out as i go here but wat you said makes sense you got some time before spring design away we are expecting 8 inchs of snow here in the next couple days so mines goin in the baesment/mancave/bikeshop

"So, Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take valves out, fix 'em, put 'em back in and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?"

The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over and whispered to the mechanic ...

"Try doing it with the engine running!"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM

Garage
Yea sounds like the cyl. is flooded. Same happened to a lot of people and it's usually the side it leans on while on the kickstand. Try Seafoam in the gas, drain the bowl & shoot some carb cleaner in there or try back flushing the carbs before you tear it apart. You can also try lightly tapping on the float housing with the handle of a screwdriver.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedevilsrighthand View Post
ill have to get the carbs done up and try that this is only my 2nd v twin bike so im kinda figuring some stuff out as i go here but wat you said makes sense you got some time before spring design away we are expecting 8 inchs of snow here in the next couple days so mines goin in the baesment/mancave/bikeshop
I am around a number of different bikes. The exhaust pipe discoloration is a sign of lean, however it is not necessarily lean now. After it is/was fixed the pipes will stay blued unless fixed.

Wolf posted a pic of some borderline lean plugs, I think in response to another of your posts/threads.

Pipe discoloration typically is always a pilot circuit lean condition. Typically partially plugged jet/passages.

edit- a lean cylinder will run hotter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement