Gonna Re-ACCT instead of rebuild - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Gonna Re-ACCT instead of rebuild

The gambo, grambo or whatever you call it fix in my front cyl went south (about 100 miles), the tin-can syndrome again and I was planning to respring both accts until I spoke with a kawa dealer mechanic yesterday. After I suggested that I was gonna re-spring to fix, he said I might wanna just replace as kawa supposidly identified that the ratchet mechanism for holding the tension in place was backing off even though the spring tensions were in spec in many of the failed parts.

I dont know if this is BS or the real thing but its got me wondering.??? He also indicated that the rebuilt acct higher spring tension might be covering for the underlying mechanical break-down but would not be good for the long-term life if the chain and yada yada.

What do you folks think of this info......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you do a search on the Forum, there were some discussions long before I joined about the tensioning of the TOC springs vs. the OEMs; I think the verdict on that was "negligible," but you might check for yourself and see how you read that discussion. Personally, my feeling is that the dealer would rather sell you two of the entire tensioner units than know that you spent $20 and change and that you don't need him and his service boys. Just a hunch...

C
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Search Goddess

Kawasaki also says that the ACCTS are not servicable, but those of us that have done it know that is not true.
As a side note, I went with Manual about a year ago and have had no problems with the cam chains.
The ACCTS seem to start acting up about 12,000 miles or so, the rebuild gives them a fresh start
So as Cindy says.. $20 for the springs, or $120 for a new set of OEM ACCTs that will probably start acting up in another 12,000 miles..
Hmmmmmm.. decisions, decisions..

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I've got 3k trouble free miles on my TOC's acct's, amongst the best $20 I ever spent.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I agree with and have read all of the acct threads on the site. I shoulda mentioned that during our conversation I indicated I would buy them online for a much better price then dealer before we got into the meat of the discussion, so his info had no bearing on selling me any new units. The main point of interest I wanted to raise with all of you was the non spring related MECHANICAL aspect of the acct and how this could play into the equation of rebuilding or not???????

Last edited by bonzer; 06-27-2007 at 11:28 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM

Other than a broken spring, I have not heard of anyone having trouble re-springing a factory unit IF put together and installed correctly.

Jon

vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Dunlop D-404's
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jon,

I believe I have gotten everyone off on the wrong foot , let me re-phrase....

My question was and still is how the mechanical condition other than the spring that the mechanic at kawa mentioned as possible issues with the acct as follows,

1. the internal condition of the ratchet mechanism (supposed known issue at kawa and updated???)

2. excessive play of the plunger ball and roll-pin as they have been known to 'loosen-up' with higher-mileage.

3. the notion of installing a higher tension spring which overcomes any of the above physical issues (or to replace an existing broken spring) may be prematurely stretching your cam chains and other bad things.

This dude wasnt going to make a dime off me and shared his experience willingly, IMO he raised some points that perhaps have been overlooked???

Last edited by bonzer; 06-27-2007 at 12:58 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I have not seen any problems with the ACCT's except the spring.
There might be a updated part, I have not heard of one.
The Spring update is $20 and works, I would start with that I did and now quiet.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer View Post
Thanks Jon,

I believe I have gotten everyone off on the wrong foot , let me re-phrase....

My question was and still is how the mechanical condition other than the spring that the mechanic at kawa mentioned as possible issues with the acct as follows,

1. the internal condition of the ratchet mechanism (supposed known issue at kawa and updated???)

2. excessive play of the plunger ball and roll-pin as they have been known to 'loosen-up' with higher-mileage.

3. the notion of installing a higher tension spring which overcomes any of the above physical issues (or to replace an existing broken spring) may be prematurely stretching your cam chains and other bad things.

This dude wasnt going to make a dime off me and shared his experience willingly, IMO he raised some points that perhaps have been overlooked???
1. & 2. : Like any mechanical device, always subject to wear, but never heard of it.

3. The additional tension is minimal, it's really more of a higher gauge wire so it will not break as fast.

If you have seen the cam chain used in this motor, I think you would agree that the tiny spring used on the ACCT would have a hard time stretching the cam chain. IMHO.

Jon

vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Dunlop D-404's
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm not questioning the fact that the HD spring rebuild works for most if not all of you folks , what I'm wonderin is if the new spring is coverin-up an underlying mechanical issue and if so at what expense long term?

Is it worth the extra hundred bucks or so to replace instead of rebuild??

I dont have the answer but do have the credit card so I personally elected to order a couple fresh ones from the bandit...

Hi Jon,

In regards to your response to #3, dont people usually 'prewind' the spring harder then stock to obtain more tension as that appears to me the objective of rebuilding or rewinding the stock spring.

Last edited by bonzer; 06-27-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement