How much oil does our scoot hold? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Question How much oil does our scoot hold?

A big question on the Yahoo group always seems to be amount of oil added. I'll measure mine next time but as I recall I 've always added about 2.75 qts to bring the level to the 1/2 way mark in the sightglass, this is without a new filter and after runing the engine. (NOTE:The filter holds very little) I change my oil every 1500-2K so it's a waste, IMO, to change the filter every time. Some owners get in 3.5 qts - I can only guess that is with a new filter and the oil level to high (to the the "F" mark).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:44 PM

Re: How much oil does our scoot hold?

It says 4L on my engine next to the fill cap on mine. And just a word of advise, change your filter every time. It's not a waste.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

If the filter is not even close to being full of dirt and is still flowing well then I don't see the point. I've cut open used oil filters from cars and bikes some new (e.g. Fram - junk) and mine are spotless with no visibly trapped dirt at all.

Now Suzuki recommends changing the filter on my '01 every 11,000 miles - that is a bit much but that does speak volumes about the quality of today's filters. They also recommend changing brake fluid every year which is ceratinly good advice to heed.

If I change my oil every 1,500 miles and you change it yours every 3K then why would I need to change my filter with every oil change? Bare in mind that oil holds very small dirt particles in suspesion that are far too small for a traditional filter to filter out and by me dropping my oil every 1,500 I get ride of that, meaning that my filter should last proportionately longer.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 10:23 PM

The way I look at it is filters are cheap. Engines are not. I change the oil and filter in my car every 1000 to 1500 miles. Although the filter may not get nearly saturated with particulates, and the oil may not be worn out, it's cheap insurance.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 10:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to case25942000 Send a message via Yahoo to case25942000

I also think you should replace oil filter every time you change oil.
Iwork on engin's that cost in around the $10.000 amount.
Filters are not a wast oil, air,fuel, all are a must.
Engin's cost money don't wast the cost of a engin for a $6.00 filter.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Nitro,

Wow! You change your car's oil every 1,000 - 1500 miles. What ever works for ya, but with all the test results out there that prove the average car will easily go 150K with oil changes every 4K I don't see the point. How often do ya change the oil in your Vucan? What do ya use?

As far as filters go, the most important filter on an engine is the air filter, which I clean/oil regularly as I'm sure you guys do too.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:06 AM

Often times test results are much different than real world results. I've replaced way too many engines from insufficient maintenance to let my car go 4k miles on a change. Just the other day I replaced a motor in a Taurus that had only 20k miles on it and a rod sticking through the oil pan. Although I'm sure there was more than 4k between changes, it illustrates a point. I haven't changed the oil in the bike yet, but I plan on doing the oil/filter the same as the car, every 1000 to 1500. I also haven't decided what oil to use yet, since there seems to be various opinions as to what's the best to use in our bikes. I've used Mobil 1 the last few changes in my CRX, so I may do the same in the bike. Any suggestions for/against Mobil 1?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

I should have said "real word tests". Anyway, Mobil 1 MC oil is great but expensive so many use the $4.00/qt (at Wal-Mart) "redcap" 15W50 which has many great posts/happy users. I personally think Shell Rotella 15W40 is the best bang for the buck followed by 5W40 Rotella synthetic. THE best MC oil would have to be Amsoil. I currently use 10 oz (10W40) of it mixed with FormulaShell 10W40 for a home brewed semi-syn.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 AM

I know just what you mean, I used to use that "red cap" 15w50 in my old Cutlass. I guess I'll try that out for the first change. I've also seen a couple of posts either here or on Yahoo that the "Energy Conserving" rating causes clutch/shifting problems... Is that true?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:00 PM

From testimonials I've read/heard, I'm a fan of Mobil 1. I use it in my car and change it out every 5K. As a general rule, synthetics take a lot longer to break down. One study I read mentioned that synthetic oil, regularly topped up as needed (in a healthy engine) should be good for around 15K+ miles. That seems high to me, but the message is pretty clear. Mobil 1 filters (along with Amsoil and a couple of others) have been tested to have the greatest filtration capabilities (even considering extended time: one study recommended changing the oil ever 5K or so, but only changing the filter ever 10K or so). If anyone wants figures, I can probably find them somewhere. Yes, Mobil 1 filters are more expensive than just about any other brand, but in the end, you may be getting what you pay for. It costs me about $35 to use mobil 1 in the car per change. That's about what you'll pay for a change in teh shop and I feel safe in squeezing in a few thousand extra miles out of it. In the end, doing it myself, I can actually save money (over going to a shop) using what I feel is a far superior product over time.

I haven't read nearly as much about the longevity of synthetics in bikes, but I would assume that the same basic principles are at work in any engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement