Acct - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Acct

I have read where some have replaced the spring in the tensioner only to have it break right away. Could it possibly be that when replacing the spring within the ACCT that whoever is doing it, that the spring is not placed properly or with the proper tension when being replaced that's causing the premature failure? Or maybe has anyone tried replacing the whole ACCT mechanism when theirs fails? Doing the MCCT mod does for sure allow the cam chain tension to be manually adjusted. But it does not CURE the ACCT problem. I find it hard to believe that Kawasaki made the VN-750 all those years and failed to come up with a cure for the ACCT. What I am getting at is that the Auto cam chain tensioner in my Kawasaki 454-LTD never failed in 89,000 miles. And that is what I would like for my 2002 VN-750 to perform like. If a device fails, it should be made to work properly and not be kluged. I commend those of you who came out with the mod, and I certainly don't have an answer to properly fix the ACCT. But if maybe enough of us hounded Kawasaki that they just might come out with a cure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Jack of all trades

Kawasaki doesn't care about the 750 anymore. They aren't in production, thus they aren't making any money off of them. The fix for the broken acct is to upgrade to a mcct ( the low budget solution is to convert your acct to an mcct). The springs in the acct are a wear part and thus designed to fail at some point. Immediate failure of replacement parts is due to improper installation 80% of the time. Sometimes you get a bum part but most of the time someone cut corners somewhere.

Be my guest to hound kawasaki, but I guarantee that they will just send you back a form letter saying that they aren't going to do anything. People have asked kawasaki to bring back support for their VN750s over the years and they are still waiting.

Hope I'm not coming off as an ass but the fact of the matter is that there isnt any way that kawasaki or any major motor company would invest any amount of money for R&D on an expired product line.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post
Kawasaki doesn't care about the 750 anymore. They aren't in production, thus they aren't making any money off of them. The fix for the broken acct is to upgrade to a mcct ( the low budget solution is to convert your acct to an mcct). The springs in the acct are a wear part and thus designed to fail at some point. Immediate failure of replacement parts is due to improper installation 80% of the time. Sometimes you get a bum part but most of the time someone cut corners somewhere.

Be my guest to hound kawasaki, but I guarantee that they will just send you back a form letter saying that they aren't going to do anything. People have asked kawasaki to bring back support for their VN750s over the years and they are still waiting.

Hope I'm not coming off as an ass but the fact of the matter is that there isnt any way that kawasaki or any major motor company would invest any amount of money for R&D on an expired product line.
I do agree with you, but I have sent the folowing letter to them in hopes of a reply.
Attín Consumer Services
Kawasaki Motors Corp
P/O Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252

Service personĎs,

I own a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan VN-750, VIN-JKAVNDA162B546275.

My problem is with the Automatic Cam Chain Tensionerís that fail quite often on a lot of the VN-750ís that have been manufactured from 1986-2004. In all that time the Kawasaki Corporation has failed to come out with a reliable fix for the problem, (or none that I know of).

Having been a member of a Vulcan VN-750 Forum for the past year prior to purchasing my 2002 Kaw I see where the members have come out with a kluge for the ACCT that allows manual adjustment for the tensioner. But that in fact does not cure the ACCT failure problem.

Has the Kawasaki Corporation come out with a proper fix for the problem, (and not just a stronger spring that also fails), and if so what is it? If they havenít, perhaps a class action law suit would do the trick

Sincerely,

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezyrider View Post

perhaps a class action law suit would do the trick

Sincerely,
Yup, that is going to work, I can feel it.

One of the things I do gratis is test electrical components for people. They have to bring them to me and my trusty Fluke. I recently tested a small number of used GM E type ign coils for a guy. Years ago, I asked a rather good OEM mechanic why GM didn't do something about the problem. His answer, 'why would they, those coils never completely fail and they all go past the warranty'.

Of course the answer is- when your second coil fails, check distributor phasing.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Unfortunately I don't feel very confident of a posative response from mom kaw.
Look at it this way, it would be great for a Kawasaki acct to be produced to replace the inferior one we currently have but the bike has been out of production for over 5 years.
Toc's mcct's are $100 for a set. A stock acct is $? I can't even find a price on my phone.
Bike bandit doesn't like me. Ltms
It's maw kaw. She's not cheap & the manual method is more sturdy (toc's) anyway.
If I had an extra $100 laying around that I didn't know what to do with, I'd buy them.

Last edited by kanuck69; 12-31-2013 at 01:59 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
I do agree with you, but I have sent the folowing letter to them in hopes of a reply.
Attín Consumer Services
Kawasaki Motors Corp
P/O Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252

Service personĎs,

I own a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan VN-750, VIN-JKAVNDA162B546275.

My problem is with the Automatic Cam Chain Tensionerís that fail quite often on a lot of the VN-750ís that have been manufactured from 1986-2004. In all that time the Kawasaki Corporation has failed to come out with a reliable fix for the problem, (or none that I know of).

Having been a member of a Vulcan VN-750 Forum for the past year prior to purchasing my 2002 Kaw I see where the members have come out with a kluge for the ACCT that allows manual adjustment for the tensioner. But that in fact does not cure the ACCT failure problem.

Has the Kawasaki Corporation come out with a proper fix for the problem, (and not just a stronger spring that also fails), and if so what is it? If they havenít, perhaps a class action law suit would do the trick

Sincerely,
You are kidding with that final comment in your letter aren't you? A class action suit because of a single part on a motorcycle that has not been in production for how many years? How many people have had a major problem with that part? How much physical injury has been caused by this original part? Is there a fix available at the present time? Seems to me that there is no way possible that a suit of that nature could find any daylight. Where would you get a lawyer to handle such a foolish legal action and at what cost? Would you spend a few thousand dollars to sue for the price of a new ACCT? JMHO's.

Maybe you just started celebrating the New Year a bit early with this one. If you really believe in this then by all means go for it. I am not trying to deter you from doing what you believe in by any means if this is what you really want to do. Please be sure to keep this forum informed of your progress as I am sure more than just myself would be interested in your results. Good luck and that is a sincere comment.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
You are kidding with that final comment in your letter aren't you? A class action suit because of a single part on a motorcycle that has not been in production for how many years? How many people have had a major problem with that part? How much physical injury has been caused by this original part? Is there a fix available at the present time? Seems to me that there is no way possible that a suit of that nature could find any daylight. Where would you get a lawyer to handle such a foolish legal action and at what cost? Would you spend a few thousand dollars to sue for the price of a new ACCT? JMHO's.

Maybe you just started celebrating the New Year a bit early with this one. If you really believe in this then by all means go for it. I am not trying to deter you from doing what you believe in by any means if this is what you really want to do. Please be sure to keep this forum informed of your progress as I am sure more than just myself would be interested in your results. Good luck and that is a sincere comment.
Did you miss the word "perhaps"? I am not dumb enough to pursue an action in futility. The main theme of my letter is to find out if they did in fact do anything to improve the Cam chain tension assembly. Like, do the new tensioner assembly's work? And how about it Hombre, has anyone on the forum tried a new Tensioner Assembly? Oh, and BTW, the tensioner assemblys cost 88 bucks each through the factory.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did you miss the word "perhaps"? I am not dumb enough to pursue an action in futility. The main theme of my letter is to find out if they did in fact do anything to improve the Cam chain tension assembly. Like, do the new tensioner assembly's work? And how about it Hombre, has anyone on the forum tried a new Tensioner Assembly? Oh, and BTW, the tensioner assemblys cost 88 bucks each through the factory.
You know, I could have been a little short sighted. Just a wee bit mind you.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Well, JMHO, but when a major international corporation receives a letter such as yours with the mention of a "perhaps" class action law suit the credibility has a tendency to drop off a bit. Remember the old saying about a gallon of vinegar and a tablespoon of honey attracting bees? Personally I would have left off the mention of law suits especially in the initial contact but that is just me. I have had a bit of experience with letters to corporations in my careers both sending and receiving and the high percentage of those have been very positive in my favor. You mentioned that you are "not dumb enough to pursue an action in futility". Please accept my apologies if my initial response came across that way as that was not my intent. I do not consider you that type of person at all. I am just giving my opinion as to how these letters are viewed on a corporate level and sharing my experience from both sides of letters. I still wish you positive luck in your pursuit.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:22 PM

I wrote a similar sounding letter to Oldsmobile once, got the car fixed in three days, free of charge, and the repairs were perfect, pretty extensive too. The car was at least 5-6 years old, it was a safety issue and common occurring defect. ...and a major pain in keilbasa to repair.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement