V&H Cruzers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

V&H Cruzers

I put a pair of V&H Cruzers on my bike this weekend, and wow, what a difference. Nice sound, albeit a little louder even than I was expecting, and the power delivery seems much smoother now (not to mention more of it ).

My concern is, after reading up on this site first, I was expecting to turn out the mixture screws a bit to richen the mixture. After running it with the new pipes though, it seems like I might have the opposite problem. I've noticed the right pipe especially blowing little puffs of smoke, and both pipes seem to be throwing a bit of fuel out. Is this normal, or am I running too rich already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvaill View Post
I put a pair of V&H Cruzers on my bike this weekend, and wow, what a difference. Nice sound, albeit a little louder even than I was expecting, and the power delivery seems much smoother now (not to mention more of it ).

My concern is, after reading up on this site first, I was expecting to turn out the mixture screws a bit to richen the mixture. After running it with the new pipes though, it seems like I might have the opposite problem. I've noticed the right pipe especially blowing little puffs of smoke, and both pipes seem to be throwing a bit of fuel out. Is this normal, or am I running too rich already?
If you are running just the pipes, you should not have to do anything to the carbs. If you modify the intake, then you will have to rejet. The only time you have to adjust the mixture-screws if if you coaster the bike or rejet. Hope this helps...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 55,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:26 AM

If you check out the VH website they indicate that a rejet is recomended with their cruizer exhaust and even sell the jet kit seperately. Jeeez for that price youd think they chould throw the jet kit in with the pipes....

from the install docs:

RE-JETTING INSTRUCTIONS
Re-jetting the carburetors will result in realizing the "full" potential of this performance exhaust
system. Vance & Hines offers jet kits for most applications. Base line jetting information is available
through our tech-line (562-926-5291) for most models.

TECHNICAL SUPPORT

email: [email protected]
Technical line: (562) 926-5291
Fax: (562) 802-0110
Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (pst)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: Is rejetting required with your exhaust?
A: Yes, Vance & Hines does recommend rejetting with our exhaust systems.

Q: Does Vance & Hines recommend a specific jet kit.
A: Vance & Hines offers jet kits for most of its exhaust systems

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer View Post
If you check out the VH website they indicate that a rejet is recomended with their cruizer exhaust and even sell the jet kit seperately. Jeeez for that price youd think they chould throw the jet kit in with the pipes....
Three different mechanics, both Kaw and independant all have told me over beers that they LOVE to sell the rejet with the pipes because it makes some big profit but the rejet is not necessary if you are only changing the pipes. One of the biggest scams dealerships do is making you rejet when you only change the pipes.

The reason that V&H put that info on their site is to make it appear that their pipes will increase performance on your bike. Nope. All they will do is make it look better and sound better. A set of V&H pipes will not turn your bike into a bat out of hell - but rejetting it will help... I've seen guys rejet their bikes and keep their stock pipes and get the same results performance wise, but the bike didn't sound nowhere as good as mine with V&H pipes.

This comes from 12 years experience with a VN750 with V&H pipes on for 5 years now and a Nomad with V&H pipes on for two years. Trust me on this and don't fall into the hype...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 55,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Sooooo, about my question:
I've noticed the right pipe especially blowing little puffs of smoke, and both pipes seem to be throwing a bit of fuel (or some type of moisture anyway) out. Is this normal, or am I running too rich already?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 PM

If your blowing unburnt fuel out I would assume your runnin rich. It would likely smell gassy as well I believe. Funny thing is that 'Guy' at sherms told me during a coaster install that the bike wouldnt need a rejet unless I persued an ear-shave or aftermarket exhaust install. Everyone has an opinion yunno just like the other thing... I would give him a call at 541-271-5610 and run it by him.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 AM
2FAS4U

I marbled and coastered mine, and only backed out the mixture screws to remove some popping on deceleration. Otherwise, I have about 6k on my V&H pipes. Gas milage is about the same, and the bike runs well. 05 model.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 AM

It's the same with your car or truck. If you put on a fancy big $$ exhaust, a K&N air cleaner--do you rejet the carb or install a new performance computer if it's fuel injected? NO--YOU DON"T!! Why?--Because you DO NOT HAVE TOO!
Would it increase your performance if you did? Yes-most likely, however you are just "fine tuning" for your specific setup.

Unless you actually Dyno test the bike after every modification or adjustment, you are only guessing at it by test driving it and trying different settings/adjustments. Besides your mods or adjustments you also have to factor in your elevation (above/below sea level) and the nominal temps. that you would normally run the bike in as well. What setup works for a bike in Texas or Georgia isn't going to fly in Wisconsin!

To answer your ?--from what you describe I would lean the mixture out a little and test drive it. Pay attention to the cold starts as well as hot starts after you make the adjustment and see how it works out for you.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Racohoon is right on: You don't HAVE to rejet. There is probably a bit more power to be had - and the confidence of knowing that you aren't running needlessly lean (even if just a bit), which will make the engine run hotter. Correct jetting also reduces the vibrations that are felt at the pegs and handlebars.

Adjusting the fuel screw may or may not help the problem. The fuel screw only affects starting, throttle response and up to 1/4 throttle. You may actually be lean in that range and rich in the needle or main jet.

But, as far as the fuel screw is concerned, I'd encourage everyone to remove those caps and get to know how adjusting the screw affects your throttle response, cold and hot starting, deceleration popping - and vibration. At a minimum, you will find real differences between mid-summer and mid-winter.

mtvaill: You may want to clean your spark plugs and then go for a long ride. Then check your plugs and see if they confirm that you're running rich.

Also, did you use new gaskets when you installed the pipes?

Good luck, Mark
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 12:33 PM

As far as the liquid spitting out of the exhaust, it should be water. One of the byproducts of combining fuel (a hydrocarbon) and oxygen is water. If the bike is running right I wouldn't mess with it. Are your coolant and oil levels staying where they belong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement