White smoke/bad idle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

White smoke/bad idle

So I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor (which was quite a bit) when I pulled my clutch in to downshift. I get to first gear and the engine does not slow down until I let the clutch out. I park it at work, and in the morning when I go to leave, it won't start very easily, but it gets moving eventually. The fast idle is still there, but not anything I can't operate around. I figure "something is sticking and messing up my idle. I park it at home, pour some seafoam into the tank, and it fires right up.

I rev the engine with it on the centerstand. It hesitates, then runs up to 3k and doesn't come back for about 2 1/2 minutes when I manually adjust the idle thumbscrew. I rev it again. same thing. Then I notice that it is pouring white smoke out of the right exhaust pipe. I've noticed a couple of drops of coolant between the cyllinder before, but could never determine the source. So I'm thinking that I have coolant leaking into the front cyllinder now. I don't know if I would be able to smell the coolant burning, but all I can smell is exhaust anyway. Please don't tell me I have to remove the engine. I don't think I have the expertise for that, and if I did, I have neither the tools (special ones anyway) nor the knowledge of which gaskets I will need. I am begining to get very frustrated with this 20 year old hunk of alluminum, and all this is made worse by the constant taunting of the gorgeous weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

another thing: are these things supposed to have fuel filters? Cause if not, I need to remove mine I think. When I first got the bike, there was one filter going to the left carb, and none to the right. or the other way around. I can't remember.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
i think we had someone here with similar issue. was carb related and if i'm not mistaken (which i probably am) ended up being stuck float.
or was it carbs out of sync?

Ride Safe

Anton.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM

That has all the earmarks of a coolant leak, but maybe it's something really simple. For example, there's a coolant pipe that comes out of the front cyl and attaches to a hose that leads to the thermostat (you have the same setup on the rear cyl). I think there are two o-rings on that pipe, and after 20 years, I'm guessing at least one of 'em might have dry-rotted.

I would drain the coolant into some clean, clear container (if it's good coolant, you should be able to pour it back in when you're done; if it's got sludge in it, re-post and we'll put our collective heads together again), and the take on the front cyl pipe and see how the o-rings look. Someone correct me on this, but I believe you can get replacements at a local hardware store- I just don't know the size.

C
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

well, I had a look at the coolant and it was bright and wonderfull. I PRIED the carbs out from under that stupid airbox and took them to the dealer. He took em apart and cleaned em. He said that they were completely full of junk. I'm thinking that some crap in the tank got sucked into the carb when I was low on gas. Now I just have to reinstall them and try to synch em up. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingbender View Post
well, I had a look at the coolant and it was bright and wonderfull. I PRIED the carbs out from under that stupid airbox and took them to the dealer. He took em apart and cleaned em. He said that they were completely full of junk. I'm thinking that some crap in the tank got sucked into the carb when I was low on gas. Now I just have to reinstall them and try to synch em up. I'll let you know how it goes.
I hate that stupid airbox, too, and finally just bit the bullet and pulled the wiring harness connections so I could pull the box. Seems easiest to pull the connections back by the battery box and yank 'em through the frame, and then the airbox should slide right out. Put the carbs in, put the airbox in (dry lube and a lever help), put in all the hoses and such, and then bring your wires back through the frame and reattach to their respective ports. Heckuva lot easier than trying to jam the carbs in under the box (which I've now done three times, and will never do again - the box must go!).

C
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingbender View Post
If you have gone this far and you think it was something from the tank, go the distance, remove the tank and fuel valve to make sure.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

carbs back on. removed petcock and cleaned. (was'nt that bad) reinstalled everyhting and engine still has exact same problem (albeit with a huge boost in performance) I think my last resort is removing the engine and looking at the header gasket and piston rings.
<sigh>
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 10:30 PM

White smoke in a car would mean coolant being burned in the cylinder my suspicions --head gasget. Do a compression test or have a 7 gas analysis done. Smoke should smeel and taste sweet if it is coolant.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:17 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckmtn View Post
Do a compression test or have a 7 gas analysis done.
Isn't there also some kind of oil analysis that can tell if you have coolant getting into a cylinder?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement