Could you do this? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Could you do this?

Could you just take off the goat's belly and install something similar to these? Just un-do all of the u-bolts and attach these to the pipe and run them straight back? So you still get the good looks, but also the rumble without the goat's belly or the rear mufflers.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000143733

Just an idea....

Also, just wondering the diameter of the pipes. The slip-on pipes use O.D (Outside Diameter).

Last edited by Tyger; 06-08-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Yes you can, Fergy did this but used Pipes of a Dyna HD

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 AM

Be careful of your state laws. I removed my my goat belly and put straight pipes. I got pulled over by a Deputy Sheriff and was advised that I could not have straight pipes. I think he was having a bad day. I did not get sited.

I noticed in the add that you can buy a internal muffler. It might be a good idea to do this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Search Goddess

Running straight pipes are ok if you are doing the short bar hops with the harley gang. For long trips the sound is deafening though, and I mean that literally. Plus there are the noise ordinances to contend with.

Running without the goats belly and adding slip-on mufflers is very possible though. I have Harley dyna mufflers on mine (with the goat's belly) Before I had 27" fishtails without the goat's belly.

Note there is a BIG difference between sli on mufflers and straight pipes. Mufflers muffle, straight pipes are the sound straight out of the engine.

For anyone considering removing the goat's belly you might also consider an H pipe insert in place of it. It will help equalize the mufflers and provide some back pressure for performance.
You can also add a pipe section that will bring your mufflers out equally (stock has one muffler ending shorter then the other)

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Well I think I might try it, maybe with the goat's belly on. Is it really that loud? I'd like to see how loud it its. I hear/see some REALLY loud bikes around here and want to know what you guys mean by "loud". Also, no one answered me on the diameter of the pipes. I thought it was 1 3/4"? Let me know and I think I'm going to get them. Thanks guys!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 12:50 PM
85 VN 700

with true straight pipes - the bike will be REALLY (Read: making people hate bikers) LOUD. You also need SOME muffling for the backpressure - otherwise your valves are gunna get F-d up.

Also keep in mind that many things from JCW aren't of the highest quality. The pipes you are looking at would probably look good... for a month... then start having issues with the chrome. Chroming quality varies WIDELY - there's different thicknesses, etc. How it'd hold up depends, of course, on how much you ride, what kinda care you give to the bike, etc. I'm an everyday rider and the bike gets a bath MAYBE once a month - so they'd pit and look like Sh.. in a hurry...

If I was going to change pipes - I'd get the Vance and Hines pipes - well known brand, quality parts, etc.

And for the record, if I remember correctly, fergy left the goats belly on and installed the dynas afterwards.

One thing ya might try is drilling the pipes (one hole per pipe at a time) till ya decide ya like the sound. I can tell ya that I thought I wanted drilled pipes (I did on the old mufflers) till I got a better set of stock mufflers from LurchChaos. I left em alone since it's really NICE not hearing the bike when I don't want to (cruising along) and still hearing it when I do. Then again... there is something about hearing the engine the whole time that's rewarding - if tiring....

Ride for yourself. Don't ride to impress.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have the dyna's on the goat's belly. The gb really muffles the sound a lot. I cranked up the bike with just the gb, before I installed the dynas and it wasn't much louder than with the dynas. Honestly, if you wanted to flirt with different sounds, you can put the slip on pipes you're looking at, right on the gb and see if you like them. I've thought about having some larger chrome pipes made that would slip on the gb. Something that flared out to around 3 inches, just to see what it sounded like. The dynas aren't loud, but are a little louder than the stock mufflers. If you're trying to get the big v-twin sound, it's the wrong bike.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement