Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Dr. Vulcanstein

metal shavings in oil

ive gone through the searches, and read previous threads concerning contaminated oil. ive gathered a concensus that some shavings can be just normal wear, but if there is any rubber and or steel, that it could be a sign of the balancer starting to wear. well, i had about 10 specs of aluminum, 2 VERY tiny pieces of steel, and a very small amount of very small rubber particles. the spec of aluminum on my finger is the biggest piece of metal that came out. the brownish looking thing on the filter screen looks like a piece of gasket material. im needing some feedback to understand if i sould be concerned aout this, or if its just "normal wear". i performed the oil change a little early because i forgot to turn my petcock off, and had some fuel leak into the engine. everything has been running normal, aside from one night, on a 50 mile run that my rpm's were hovering around 2-3 thousand rpms, and not dropping down to the normal 1000. i let the bike sit about a half hour and continued, it ran fine,since that night everything has been normal. there is no shaking or abnormal vibrating in the engine, i will run this oil for about a month and change to check again. oh and those aluminum flakes you see on the catch pan came out before removing the screen inside the drain plug port....one more note excuse/disregard the brown specs on the upper left of the catch pan, i chew tobacco, and the pan was convienient. thanks for reading, thanks for the help.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )

Last edited by jadabull; 01-25-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 05:51 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabull View Post
ive gone through the searches, and read previous threads concerning contaminated oil. ive gathered a concensus that some shavings can be just normal wear, but if there is any rubber and or steel, that it could be a sign of the balancer starting to wear. well, i had about 10 specs of aluminum, 2 VERY tiny pieces of steel, and a very small amount of very small rubber particles. the spec of aluminum on my finger is the biggest piece of metal that came out. the brownish looking thing on the filter screen looks like a piece of gasket material. im needing some feedback to understand if i sould be concerned aout this, or if its just "normal wear". i performed the oil change a little early because i forgot to turn my petcock off, and had some fuel leak into the engine. everything has been running normal, aside from one night, on a 50 mile run that my rpm's were hovering around 2-3 thousand rpms, and not dropping down to the normal 1000. i let the bike sit about a half hour and continued, it ran fine,since that night everything has been normal. there is no shaking or abnormal vibrating in the engine, i will run this oil for about a month and change to check again. oh and those aluminum flakes you see on the catch pan came out before removing the screen inside the drain plug port....one more note excuse/disregard the brown specs on the upper left of the catch pan, i chew tobacco, and the pan was convienient. thanks for reading, thanks for the help.
If it was my bike, I would be very concerned about the balance dampers.
Attempt to notice if there is a little more vibration in/on the bar then before.
ps: Rebuild your Petcock to repair the fuel problem.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
If it was my bike, I would be very concerned about the balance dampers.
Attempt to notice if there is a little more vibration in/on the bar then before.
yup! Looks like a fair amount of 'stuff', and something is definitely shaving aluminum, i.e. a side case. I could probably hear that with the stethoscope right in front of the stator cover. You might be able to feel it there.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Dr. Vulcanstein

I havnt noticed anything different at the handle bars Will. I havnt noticed anything at all, and I am VERY conscious and usually notice the smallest thing in any vehicle I've ever been in. As far as the balance dampers go, I'm assuming that would require an engine pull, is it a difficult task, if so I'm up for it. Don't want to if I don't need to, obviously. Oh and I forgot to mention above, the bike is a 93, with about 13.5k on her.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:12 PM

It's the same as a stator job with two more bolts for the rotor and balance gear.

Large post on the weight goes into the smallest hole on the gear, or it shakes like a jitterbug.

I just can't think of anywhere else it could be coming from, unless it's had a stator mod.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Dr. Vulcanstein

Well I've read through some of the balancer posts, doesnt seem too horrible of a job. At the least I'm going to run her for 3 or 4 weeks and perform another oil change to see what I find. It just sucks because I'm constantly out filling applications to find work, and daisy is my only form of transportation.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
I havnt noticed anything different at the handle bars Will. I havnt noticed anything at all, and I am VERY conscious and usually notice the smallest thing in any vehicle I've ever been in. As far as the balance dampers go, I'm assuming that would require an engine pull, is it a difficult task, if so I'm up for it. Don't want to if I don't need to, obviously. Oh and I forgot to mention above, the bike is a 93, with about 13.5k on her.
Yes, requires an engine pull.
My balance dampers went out @ 13K+ miles. With damaged engine case & engine cover, Balance Gear and other new & used parts/Gaskets ..... = $750.+ ! Pics/photo's in my Avatar Photo Album..
Others report lose @ 15K miles.
Still others never encounter Balance Damper issues.
If the balance gear let's go, it'll cause a lot of damage, all in about 30 seconds or less.
It has been suspected extended Oil changes or low Oil levels by P/O may take a toll on the dampers.
6 dampers = $40.00
o-btw, The balance gear bolt is LH thread.

Purchase the Balance Dampers and gaskets now, line your tools up,
......someone who has done it before....about an 8 hour (or less) job. A two day weekend should work out for sure.
Review Roach's videos on You Tube for familiarization prior.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 11-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 PM

i wouldn't run it, it could become really expensive to fix if you do. 4 of the dampers have metal in the center of them. i noticed some metal in my oil. while doing the stator i went ahead and replaced the dampers. i did notice that the metal inside the dampers was almost gone. if i remember i will take some pictures. be a good time to do the stator mod if you haven't already. just a note to remember, if the stator goes bad it will also have black particles flaking as well but they are very small.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2003 kaw vn 750 pushing 40,000 miles.
tp stator
dampers
coil relay mod
other stuff not listed
mustang seat
motorcycle repair at a stealership 1 million bucks, repairs with the help of the Vulcan750 forum priceless.

Last edited by emtdon; 11-02-2013 at 09:03 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well I've read through some of the balancer posts, doesnt seem too horrible of a job. At the least I'm going to run her for 3 or 4 weeks and perform another oil change to see what I find. It just sucks because I'm constantly out filling applications to find work, and daisy is my only form of transportation.
Not saying you should chance it but when I got my 94 and did my first oil change I got similar results. Put in fresh oil and checked it again 1,000 miles later and the screen was clean. 4 years later (est. 15,000 miles) still had no problems or flakes. Not sure why it was like that.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdon View Post
i wouldn't run it, it could become really expensive to fix if you do. 4 of the dampers have metal in the center of them. i noticed some metal in my oil. while doing the stator i went ahead and replaced the dampers. i did notice that the metal inside the dampers was almost gone. if i remember i will take some pictures. be a good time to do the stator mod if you haven't already. just a note to remember, if the stator goes bad it will also have black particles flaking as well but they are very small.Sent from Motorcycle.com App

I would love to do the stator mod, and if in fact I do need to pull the engine to get to the balancer, it would be the perfect time for it...just don't have the $ for it. The only good thing outta all this is I have a spare engine sitting in my garage. Don't know how well it is as the guy I got it from had it sitting for about a year, with nothing to cap it off, and the left side case cover off of it. But at least I know the block itself is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Not saying you should chance it but when I got my 94 and did my first oil change I got similar results. Put in fresh oil and checked it again 1,000 miles later and the screen was clean. 4 years later (est. 15,000 miles) still had no problems or flakes. Not sure why it was like that.

That's what I'm hoping for...that's why I'm just going to take her easy and pay attention to anything abnormal, and perform another oil change in a month or so. The pieces of rubber were very small, smaller than the spec of aluminum on my finger in the pic above, and it was a very small amount. I only found 2 pieces of metal other than aluminum, and they were twice as small as the spec on my finger, I only found them because I swept a magnet over the small pile of debris.

Either way I'm taking Williams advice and will start saving $ to get the parts needed to fix, if in fact it is the dampers. After looking through his pics, I'm kinda nervous, looks like a war went on inside that case, lol.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )

Last edited by jadabull; 11-02-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement