Members who have donated towards server costs
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chandler, Arizona
I normally don't use any kind of sealant on the Vulcan, but I made an exception to that for the bevel drive cover. It is difficult to install that cover, because you have to install it against spring pressure from the damper, and line up the driveshaft splines at the same time. The first time I tried to install it, I destroyed a brand new gasket. I got another new gasket, and used Permatex gas resistant black RTV sealant to glue it to the engine. I let it sit overnight and cure. This time the cover went on fine. This sealant is not like the usual silicone RTV stuff. It dries harder, and does not feel at all like cured silicone. I don't plan on ever removing this cover again, so I wasn't too concerned about how hard the stuff would be to get off.
I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.
1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike