92 VN750 Engine Teardown - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

92 VN750 Engine Teardown

Newbie to this site, all good info in here. Just bought a 1992 VN750, good looking bike (8500 miles) - previous owner got rid of it cause water was getting into the crankcase and didn't want to deal with it. It seems that a .50 cent snap ring came off the water pump impeller shaft (inside the crankcase) and the impeller chewed up the right side cover (nasty), anyway this in turn let water into the crankcase by way of the mechanical seal. I know I have to split the case to replace this snap ring, my question is what should I be on the lookout for and what special tools will be required? Any help would be very much appreciated, I know a few of you folks could probably do this blindfolded. I don't think they have a overhaul gasket set for this motor and I know the obvious gaskets (Head, Bevel gearbox, right side cover, lower cylinders) I'll need, but let me know if there are any that aren't so obvious. I pulled the motor last nite and plan to attack this as the nights progress - will keep you posted on my progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM

Hoo Boy, you are in for a lot of fun.

Yes, you are correct, the engine overhaul gasket set is no longer available. I just got done replacing the head gaskets (OK, not quite done, but close) and advise the following:

1) Get several large muffin tins from Walmart along with masking tape and a Sharpie. This will allow you to put the bolts in separate places with labels for what they are.
2) You will do yourself good to invest in a $7 set of mechanics picks (Sears is where I found mine).
3) Have blue locktite available for reassembly.
4) Check the stator while you have the engine out. Search this forum for procedure. This is a notoriously weak part of this strong machine and requires pulling the engine to replace.
5) The Clymers manual is invaluable.
6) Be careful to keep the front and rear cylinder parts separate as many of them look similar, but are not the same.
7) Patience is a virtue.
8) A good dealer will advise all the gaskets needed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

JEff
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I second Jeff on the stator (pulled my engine for other reasons, but the stator is definitely about to go), and on the muffin tins or equivalent. I've been using ziploc bags and marking 'em, and if I can use a baggie tie to keep the bag o' parts with its associated piece (e.g., bolts and washers for the external oil line), I've been doing that.

I like the Clymer's written directions, but I can't see any of their pics - or hardly any. So I cross-check Clymers with the 750 Service Manual, which you can download for nada at TOCManufacturing.com. Between the two of 'em, I think everything's covered.

C

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 PM

The Right Stuff works great for the case halves. Don't forget the o-rings for the coolant tubes (I did, they leak)
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice - Just trying to get organized before attacking this. I've been following Cindy's and Jeff's Posts, sounds as if you guys are living in your garage. I managed to get a right side cover off of ebay, now I just need the gaskets and impeller and that $&%^@ circlip that came off. Thanks for the tip about the stator - what should I be looking for when I get it off. And who makes the Right Stuff is that made by Permatex? I'll keep you posted on my progress - gonna hit it hard this weekend.

Mike
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 03:13 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Welcome to the VN family.
Best of luck with the repairs.
Snap some pics of the work if ya can. Would be a great addition to the gallery here !

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

Last edited by hyperbuzzin; 06-01-2007 at 07:45 AM.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepennst View Post
Thanks for all the advice - Just trying to get organized before attacking this. I've been following Cindy's and Jeff's Posts, sounds as if you guys are living in your garage. I managed to get a right side cover off of ebay, now I just need the gaskets and impeller and that $&%^@ circlip that came off. Thanks for the tip about the stator - what should I be looking for when I get it off. And who makes the Right Stuff is that made by Permatex? I'll keep you posted on my progress - gonna hit it hard this weekend.

Mike
I'll post a pic of my still-cooking stator this evening - some of the coils basically look like burnt caramel. Anything that looks like it's burned take as a bad sign.

C
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Sorry haven't posted anything of late, however just got my ticket punched by the DMV - so now I'm legal. Took the Jersey road test on a Honda 700, I don't now how they expect the test to be real world, but I passed and it's over. Anyway, this is were I am with the teardown got the front head and cylinder off (had to buy a special puller for the left side rotor). Tried to tackle the balancers starting with the leftside which Clymers claims to be lefthanded threads - I can't budge them. I've tried an impact wrench, I've tried leverage/breaker bars, any suggestions. Next I've got to attempt to get the clutch nut off, does anyone know what size nut that is? And I need to make a holding tool to attach to the basket. So far everything looks in really excellent condition - but what a pain to tear this apart. Still open for suggestions.

Thanks
Mike
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepennst View Post
Sorry haven't posted anything of late, however just got my ticket punched by the DMV - so now I'm legal. Took the Jersey road test on a Honda 700, I don't now how they expect the test to be real world, but I passed and it's over. Anyway, this is were I am with the teardown got the front head and cylinder off (had to buy a special puller for the left side rotor). Tried to tackle the balancers starting with the leftside which Clymers claims to be lefthanded threads - I can't budge them. I've tried an impact wrench, I've tried leverage/breaker bars, any suggestions. Next I've got to attempt to get the clutch nut off, does anyone know what size nut that is? And I need to make a holding tool to attach to the basket. So far everything looks in really excellent condition - but what a pain to tear this apart. Still open for suggestions.

Thanks
Mike

I just pulled the left balancer off last night - it is reverse threaded, and for as much as I kept telling myself that, I still tried to unscrew it by taking the breaker bar to the left. I had my partner put a 14mm open wrench on the right balancer and use a pipe as a breaker to keep that steady as I finally torqued the left balancer *off* to the right. I used a breaker bar on my side as well - it's a tough bolt to get off. Haven't pulled the clutch nut, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that yet. I'll go out and take a look, though.

I placed an order with Ayers a couple of days ago for the various gaskets and whatnot (impeller, seal, etc.), then got my rotor puller on Friday, and pulled the balancer last night - to find two of the dampers completely broken. So now I gotta put in another order. If you have trouble finding part numbers, holler - I think I've got 'em all written down and correct, but the impeller stuff can be hard to locate. Also, if you come across parts that you think, "Hey, that should be replaced anytime someone's cracking open an engine," can you keep a list, too? I'm sure there're things I'm forgetting or missing (like the woodruff key on the rotor - have no idea where that got to).

Hang in there - there seem to be a bunch of us going through this, so any and all ideas are welcomed!!!

C
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cindy, I will keep a list of what I use also. I think you and I are in about the same place at this point in time. I just got back from the parts store with a 36mm socket - way to big. One more trip back to the parts store. I have been trying to break the balancer bolts by myself - its like a monkey wrestling a football - anyway I'll get some help in the AM. Soon as I find out what size the socket is for the clutch I'll let you know.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement