Rotella - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Rotella

Having read some rave reviews about Rotella I decided to do some research and found this following statement on Wikipedia,

(Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.)

So I tried some of the "Triple Protection 15W-40" that they recommended. I found clutch operation to be very smooth along with easy shifting and zero slippage. There was no oil loss from one oil change to the next, (Only12K miiles so I didn't expct any) I hope it does as good as the Castrol Syntec used in my 454LTD with 89K miles on when I sold it. Which BTW is way more expensive than the Rotella!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM

I too followed the Rotella pathway several months ago. Seems to be a popular selection.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezyrider View Post
So I tried some of the "Triple Protection 15W-40" that they recommended. I found clutch operation to be very smooth along with easy shifting and zero slippage. There was no oil loss from one oil change to the next, (Only12K miiles so I didn't expct any) I hope it does as good as the Castrol Syntec used in my 454LTD with 89K miles on when I sold it. Which BTW is way more expensive than the Rotella!
I have used the Rotella as recommended here and had much better clutch performance as well as smoother engine response. The clutch chatter also decreases with a fresh change. Here is NJ the price is $12.97 per gallon at Wallyworld. I just wish I could get a bunch of their Super Tech filters again.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Rotella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
I have used the Rotella as recommended here and had much better clutch performance as well as smoother engine response. The clutch chatter also decreases with a fresh change. Here is NJ the price is $12.97 per gallon at Wallyworld. I just wish I could get a bunch of their Super Tech filters again.
$12.97 a gallon here in NW Washington state also.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Garage
I just went back to Castrol 10w40 Tuesday. Has been great in my bike with no clutch problems for 14000 miles. I did go to the Rotella 15w40 at the start of summer cause of the hype. Had the coffee grinder syndrome the whole time with it at cold start-ups, even on the hottest of days. Some love it,,, but it's Castrol for me. Started the bike after work today, it's 50 degrees here,, and no coffee grinder in sight.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I've been using Rottela T (non synthetic) for over a decade now. I've read various tests on it along with other oils used for bikes, and have after examining all the data, will continue to use the oil in all my bikes.

My Bonnieville came with Castrol in it. (Triumph changed oils in their production bikes from Mobil One synthetic 10w40 "Racing"Oil to Castrol in 2012, likely only due to cost) after my initial oil change I'll likely go with Rotella again.

I know there's been countless oil threads here, and on other motorcycle forums....the fact that Rotella is still the most popular oil in the motorcycle world despite testimonials (hersay) from other owners ....still says alot.

So, it is still the only oil I reccomend.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 PM

I run Rotella in the bike and both Mustangs. I was grinding coffee regardless of what oil I used so I drilled the basket and it's been smooth sailing since.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

As a reminder, if you use Rotella T make sure it the 15W-40 and not the 10W-30. The 15W-40 meets the requirements of JASO MA as specified in the Owner's Manual and 10W-30 does not.

- Safety First

Paul

'04 VN750
'75 CB360T
'08 Concours 14
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM

Rotella 15w40 yup, $12.97 yup, no oil loss yup, coffee grinder yup, even dumped me on my ass once.

Need a filter and all those deals I saw this Spring are gone.

Used to use Castrol, but you can't go by the color for oil changes, too dark to start with.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I mentioned this awhile back and got in some stupid arguement over it with a now former member. So take the following as just an observation and believe whatever you want.

Picking an oil solely on the fact that it eliminates the "coffee grinder" issue is in my eyes worshiping a false god. If I understand the theory, the coffee grinder is caused by (cold) oil sticking to the clutch plates (not running off after the bike is shut down)
Once the bike has warmed up and the oil flows better, the problem goes away.

Right off this sounds like not using the right viscosity of oil, but it's been shown that going to a "thinner" oil doesn't always solve the problem.

But what I'm getting to here is oil sticking to parts of your motor is actually a good thing....especially when it's cold. So if some oil new oil you put in is running off the clutch when you park your bike, (and eliminating the CG effect) it's likely running off other parts inside your motor..... and I don't see that as a good thing.
To me it's like saying you found a new detergent that cleans your clothes better, but it makes them wear out twice as fast.

Coffee grinder aside here, Rotella had been shown in various independant tests to be a superior oil compared to many "motorcycle" oils on the market.
I think I'd rather live with the Coffee Grinder issue knowing my motor is getting great protection than to not have the CG problem but worry about all the other parts in the motor not being protected as well.

Again, just by view on this.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 10-25-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement