Start of the Breakdown - la la la - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Start of the Breakdown - la la la

Anybody remember that Tears for Fears tune from 1983? Anyone here old enough to remember that song?

Okey doke, Orleans is back to bare bones - gonna have to change my signature now, but I couldn't get the knock to go away, and it was sounding rather like I was going to throw a rod. I've never thrown a rod, but if I were going to, I think that would be the telltale sign. So, onward and gasketward.

Still need someone to help me think through sequencing here - my options are cam chains are "off" and need to be reset; oil pump chain is bad/off; HLAs have come uncharged and need to be redone. Also, since my oil was completely disgusting even after the oil change, I've got gasket issues somewhere. Sooooo, what do I do? Start with the front cyl and go from there?

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-29-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Geek

Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
This is the one I have. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Think outside the box

Ummmmm...not to sound like a "traitor"....but I thought I would ask--what advice/feedback (if any) have you gotten from the Yahoo! 750 group on your latest problems here?

Is anyone in that other group a seasoned motorcycle mechanic?......

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
Ummmmm...not to sound like a "traitor"....but I thought I would ask--what advice/feedback (if any) have you gotten from the Yahoo! 750 group on your latest problems here?

Is anyone in that other group a seasoned motorcycle mechanic?......

Good question! I haven't gone to That Other Group only because when I first signed up, I somehow signed up for "please, please, please - everytime someone posts anything, send me an email update! Hurry!" So I was getting dozens of emails a day at work, saying things like, "Thanks, Bob, that was the problem!" So I disenrolled. I s'pose I could be a little more savvy this time and just sign up without the alerts that a member sneezed.

My best guesses for the engine thunking - cam chain problem. My best guesses for the gasket leak - pick a gasket, any gasket. The only things I replaced previously were the spark plug o-ring retainers (both sides) and the head gasket for the front cyl (since there was clearly a leak coming out of the front cyl). My noise is also in the front. So perhaps I should just start there and see whazzup...with a manual by my side, and my web browser open and ready.

As for the Tears for Fears, you're still an album or two later. The Hurting was their first LP (OMG, do all of our readers know what an LP is?? Yikes!) - it's really dark and inaccessible. Which is why they eventually perked up with the Everybody Wants to Rule the World (which, come to think of it, is a perky tune with an un-perky message...??).

C
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Shout, shout....let it all out!!!

These are the things we can do without!!!.........

I gather this thread is really a continuation of your earlier thread labelled, "What are my next steps" or something close to that.

Anyway, not to further confuse the issue here, but I was looking thru my Clymer's manual, and chapter 2 is labelled, "Troubleshooting"...and there's a page in there on "Engine Noises", that might narrow things down for you a bit (assuming of course that you haven't already read that page).

On the opposite page from "Engine Noises" it discusses "contaminated oil," and what those possibilities are.

Having said all the above...you do have a Clymer manual for you bike, don't you?

Last edited by theauhawk; 05-26-2007 at 09:13 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Cindy -

You got your motor out already, boy am I a slacker!!!

I would get the stator side cover off and start nosing around in there. From what you described, the noise was emanating from the front left side cover area.

Perhaps the counterbalancer is ready to check out?

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:59 AM
85 VN 700

What's sad is that I know what an LP is. And a 33, 45, and 73?.

I know who the beetles are (who doesn't), the who, the bee-gees,etc. And I once owned lots of records. Granted... those were before the time of Tears For Fears (I was 2 at the time...)

And I use dos at work. And Dbase (copyright 1985 IIRC).

Good luck Cindy!

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
These are the things we can do without!!!.........

I gather this thread is really a continuation of your earlier thread labelled, "What are my next steps" or something close to that.

Anyway, not to further confuse the issue here, but I was looking thru my Clymer's manual, and chapter 2 is labelled, "Troubleshooting"...and there's a page in there on "Engine Noises", that might narrow things down for you a bit (assuming of course that you haven't already read that page).

On the opposite page from "Engine Noises" it discusses "contaminated oil," and what those possibilities are.

Having said all the above...you do have a Clymer manual for you bike, don't you?
Yepper do, gotta Clymer's and the Service Manual (hard copy and electronic), so I'll just fire away. I think the noise is less troublesome to me than the coolant leak, just 'cause I could pinpoint the noise (and know for certain it's the front cyl), but the coolant could be oozing in from anywhere and everywhere. I have to admit, however, that many times throughout this process, I've said, "What a great learning experience!" HA! Careful what ya wish for!

C
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Ummmmm...didn't you say earlier that you coolant level was holding steady? If it's holding steady, I don't see how you could have a coolant leak.

Does the coolant itself still look clean, or not?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ummmmm...didn't you say earlier that you coolant level was holding steady? If it's holding steady, I don't see how you could have a coolant leak.

Does the coolant itself still look clean, or not?
Good point - when I drained the coolant prior to the engine pull, it looked orange as in Dexcool orange + water. From a couple of drainage spots - which I now can't remember, but I think they were on the right side (sitting) of the bike, it came out oily. And the oil is definitely completey contaiminated - it was milky, and I had just changed it last weekend, so it should've been squeaky clean. For the most part, the level is holding steady - I drained a heckuva lot of coolant out of there (although absolutely none from the drain bolt under the water pump impeller). Does that offer any clues? Colonel Mustard, in the Study, with a 20-pound fine adjustment tool?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement