Vibration Dampers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Vibration Dampers

Is having to replace the vibration dampers at relatively low mileage an inherant problem with certain year bikes? Or is it a problem with every VN-750that was ever made? I have 12K miles on my 02 and a slight vibration in the right side mirror at speed and am concerned about it. Also, is there a post as to how to replace the dampers? And is it a very hard job to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM

The damper job is the same as a stator job, just add one left-hand thread bolt on the damper gear and right-hand thread bolt to remove the rotor.

The only real trick, besides simply aligning two sets of marks, the large pin on the damper weight goes into the smallest hole on the damper gear.

PS- Need to pay attention to the location of the smooth sided rubbers, and the other rubbers with ridges on the sides. Five dampers in all.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 10-21-2013 at 10:39 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
The damper job is the same as a stator job, just add one left-hand thread bolt on the damper gear and right-hand thread bolt to remove the rotor.

The only real trick, besides simply aligning two sets of marks, the large pin on the damper weight goes into the smallest hole on the damper gear.

PS- Need to pay attention to the location of the smooth sided rubbers, and the other rubbers with ridges on the sides. Five dampers in all.
You got an answer whether or not replacing the dampers is a problem with just a few years or every year they were manufactured?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM

Just from memory of what I've read here, it seems to be more towards the late 1990s into 2004.

At 13,400 miles, mine were still as good as the new dampers, but the engine oil has been well kept, though maybe not always the correct type of oil. I really think oil has a lot to do with it. Acidic oil, or a low level that starves the dampers of oil splash would sure do it.

I mean, look at Jerry, he probably samples his oil every week, but he's never replaced dampers.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 10-21-2013 at 02:45 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezyrider View Post
You got an answer whether or not replacing the dampers is a problem with just a few years or every year they were manufactured?
Yeah I think it's more of a JYFL thing than specific to particular model years or miles. (JYFL- Just Your F**king Luck)

Just keep an eye on your oil screen when you change your oil...if you see tiny rubber chunks....not good.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have 80,000+ miles on an '02 with no problems. I use 20w50 oil, and change it at least every 3000 miles or 3 months. I also keep my oil level right at the top of the sight glass. That might keep the damper submerged in oil a little better, but I doubt it. 1/8" difference in oil level shouldn't be enough to make any difference. I have never used synthetic oil. If and when mine do fail, I do not plan to repair it. The engine has too many miles to make it worthwhile to me. So far I have not noticed any unusual vibration. And I tend to notice minor differences in the way things sound and feel.

If I ever find rubber chunks in the screen, I'll probably put the bike up for sale in a hurry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM

Garage
I am guessing it has more to do with the dampers drying out from sitting for long periods of time...in other words, if the bike doesn't just sit around very long and is used and maintained, you shouldn't theoretically have this issue.

Does the maintenance manual suggest replacing dampers at any service interval?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
I am guessing it has more to do with the dampers drying out from sitting for long periods of time...in other words, if the bike doesn't just sit around very long and is used and maintained, you shouldn't theoretically have this issue.

Does the maintenance manual suggest replacing dampers at any service interval?
There is no service interval for any internal engine parts. They should last the life of the engine, except for maybe the clutch. The problem has to be a design defect, or the wrong material was used. Unless it sat for a REALLY long time, the dampers should always be covered in oil, and not dry out. Oil stays on internal engine parts for many years after the engine was last started.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Dampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yeah I think it's more of a JYFL thing than specific to particular model years or miles. (JYFL- Just Your F**king Luck)

Just keep an eye on your oil screen when you change your oil...if you see tiny rubber chunks....not good.
Good point about checking the oil screen. And I don't care what the book says about every 7.5 K miles, I change oil/filter every 3 K miles. Oil is cheap, engines aren't!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Geezy, Had a little vibration on my '03 last year with around 12,000 miles. Not a lot, just enough that I wasn't sure if I was feeling it or not. Oil screen was clean (no rubber in it) and I was trying to figure it out when I swung by my bike mechanic friend (works for the local bike shop). He poked and prodded before using starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks. Damn near set my engine on fire when he sprayed a bit on my rear carb to intake boot. Turns out it was a small vacuum leak causing one cylinder to run stronger than the other. The boot looked fine but the clamp had slipped a half inch up the boot on the back where it was hard to see.

May not be what is causing your problem but still created a sneaky little vibration.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement