fan switch replaced - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

fan switch replaced

Replaced fan switch today after having bike inactive for years(13). This is the second switch I've replaced on my 86.I don't remember the particulars of the first time,why I needed to replace it. This time I had been trying for the last 3 years to understand why my battery would go dead after driving it to work. I replaced the regular battery with a MF from Sears,relocated the R/R to the side. I had to replace the stator shortly before I had stopped ridding in 93. However it would still go dead after a ride across town. I had to carry a charger with me to get it started but it would get me home. It seemed to drain while sitting in the garage. About a month ago,after charging it again,I went out to check the battery and the fan was running.Since I hadn't drivin for a couple of days I couldn't see a reason for the cooling system to be operating. I unpluged the fan switch lead and the battery started keeping its' charge.I drained and attempted to flush the coolant,pulled and inspected the fan switch which was coated with a black metalic crud. The coolant was a rusty hue with some oilly substance in it. Put the switch back in with fresh coolant,fired it up,got it hot and turned it off. 10 minites later the fan came on and ran untill the battery was depleted . I pulled the lead off the switch, charged the battery,and let the bike sit for a few days untill I could get back to it. The bike keep its charge and started. Ordered a new fan switch and put it in.Took the old switch out,checked it and found more of the black crud covering the switch,a lot of it.I am waiting to see now if my charging problam is solved but i think I will have to flush the radiator again.I'm wondering if the fan switch could be a weak link in the charging system,it seems to be in my vulcan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Any switch that sticks closed is going to drain a charging system. As far as I know, it is not normally a problem. I have the opposite problem, my fan never comes on but the problem is in the junction box, not the switch.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement