Engine getting hot. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Engine getting hot.

I degoated my 86 750 several months back and I love the sound. It started popping so I marbled the reed valve and now it seems to be running hotter. Has this happened to anyone else? I have only ridden it once since so I am going to ride it some more to see if it continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Forum Faciliator

Re: Engine getting hot.

Of all the goating posts I have read, I don't ever recall the engine getting hotter being discussed as a side affect. I'd check your coolant level, by pulling the cap, and make sure your overflow bottle has antifreeze mix in it.

And make sure you oil level is up past the top line on the bubble when the bike is on the centerstand.

RB

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 08:30 AM

Well sorta...

According to the temp gauge it's running about the same. But I swear I feel more heat rising onto the back of my legs. But not sure it's attributed to degoating. Other things I was thinking of include the position of my lowers taking some of the air off my legs, thus not pushing the heat back and allowing it to rise to my legs, and exhaust leaks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure it is way past time for the antifreeze to be changes and the system flushed. I will probably do that over the winter. I put regular oil in it (before I new better) and just haven't had time to change it out. Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 12:41 PM

Hey Slater VN750;

Did you also adjust the carb air/fuel mixture screws? I read that de-goating and disabling the reed valves will cause the engine to run hotter. Fuel is a cooling agent when it is asperated in the cylinder, a little more fuel, a little more cooling. Gently bottom out the mixture screws, then back them out 2 1/8 turns as a starting point, if it runs ok leave them be, or tweak for best performance. I'm told this actually makes the engine run cooler.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mike
Hey Slater VN750;

Did you also adjust the carb air/fuel mixture screws? I read that de-goating and disabling the reed valves will cause the engine to run hotter. Fuel is a cooling agent when it is asperated in the cylinder, a little more fuel, a little more cooling. Gently bottom out the mixture screws, then back them out 2 1/8 turns as a starting point, if it runs ok leave them be, or tweak for best performance. I'm told this actually makes the engine run cooler.
This is correct AFAIC...and should be SOP for anyone doing the de-goat or new, aftermarket exhaust.
There are some good pix on locating the AF mixture screws in the Y! photos section, in Jax's file, IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement