Motor starving for gas - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Motor starving for gas

Yesterday while riding home from work, my 06 all of a sudden felt like it was starving for gas. I was getting that bogging down feeling and it ended up stalling. I pulled over and tried to restart but it felt like I ran out of gas (had 3/4 tank). Flipped it on reserve and gave it a quick choke and it started right up. Once running flipped it on primary again and it ran fine. Any thoughts out there? I don't want it happening again at highway speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
had something very similar, IMO it is not gas but something electric, most likley the ignition switch. your bike would have restarted even without going to reserve.
and while you there under the seat checking the wires, check your negative battery cable as well - my broke off and was simply laying on top of the battery contact

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
There is a comon problem with the fuel vent line on the tank. If it gets plugged the tank will get a vacume ond not allow fuel to flow.
By stopping and opening the tank you fied the problem, there still may be a blockage in the line. I had it happen to me once, only at highway speed when you are using more gas.
You can try to gentley blow ar throung the vent line and see if it flows easy.
The vent it under the gas cap and goes under the seat and down by the swingarm to the ground, unless you have a california model then it goes to a charcoal canister.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Fuel starvation

Since I got my bike, she has the same problem, but mine only happens when the bike has been turned off for a while. I let the bike warm up a few moments and take off slow. No problem. If I take off too quick, she will go about a mile and sputter and bog out, exactly like it is out of gas. I have had this happen on rides. Pretty embarrasing. I have to pull over and wait. After a few cranks, it will sputter, but will start up. Then get out of the way, because she will do fine from then on.
I have had it back to the dealer twice and of course, they say there is no problem. Lines routed Ok and the tank is clean. I may try to clear the lines as suggested earlier.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, it only happened that one time. I didnt open the tank so i dont think its a vacuum thing. Its got me stumped. Bike ran great today.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 PM

I've had the same problem. Traced it down to the petcock. I removed the diaphram from the petcock and made a gasket that replaced it and never had any more problems. Seems the vacuum at times is not enough to open the diaphram or some how it gets stuck closed or only partially opens. My symptoms were the rear carb would starve for gas and sometimes the engine would die. If I stopped for about 5 or 10 minutes it would start and run fine for a few miles, days, weeks or ??

The down side is I have to turn off the petcock when I'm stopped to prevent flooding of the carb's if the carb float needle ever sticks open. Cured my problem.

bumpy

!! Go ahead blame me ___ Everyone else does !!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM

I've had the same problem a few times. Just cruising, and the bike dies and coasts to a stop. I heard (in my research) that its often due to poor venting of the gas tank. I saw somewhere online that there is a small vent in the gas cap, so I tried to clean that out. Not sure about the vent hose -- what is a good way to clean out the vent hose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement