problems during coolant change - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

problems during coolant change

I changed and flushed the coolant this weekend and it went pretty well thanks to the info on this site! The old coolant was in pretty bad shape so was definately needed. But I did run into a few problems:

1. I never did get any coolant to drain out of the bottom of the engine. I flushed it with flush and then just water and it was dry everytime. The left cylinder drain was clogged originally but after the flush it did drain.

2. When I went to bleed the system, I loosened up the bleeder (in fact I took it out once just to make sure it was loose) and then added coolant and i could never get anything to come out of the bleeder. I had coolant overflowing and still nothing.

Any suggestions? Should I maybe do another flush and see if I get anywhere? The bike does seem to run a little cooler than it did. Before it was right on the white part about to overheat, not it doesn't quite get to the white part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I always pull the bottom radiator hose off this drains the radiator and the engine as best you can.

Not sure what you meant by "I never did get any coolant to drain out of the bottom of the engine", can you elaborate?

You have to get coolant out of the bleeder, at least after all the air is out. If nothing is coming out of the bleeder, there is a problem. When you had the bleeder screw out, did you make sure it was clear?

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Do you need it running to get coolant out of the bleeder? If you don't get any coolant out of the bleeder you may have a water pump issue or some place is clogged.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Just to make sure you really had the bleeder valve opened, I took a couple of pics of mine. Is this what you had open?

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-29-2007 at 09:30 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
I always pull the bottom radiator hose off this drains the radiator and the engine as best you can.

Not sure what you meant by "I never did get any coolant to drain out of the bottom of the engine", can you elaborate?

You have to get coolant out of the bleeder, at least after all the air is out. If nothing is coming out of the bleeder, there is a problem. When you had the bleeder screw out, did you make sure it was clear?

Jon

By bottom of the engine I mean the 10mm drain bolt that is on the bottom of the crankcase. Not even a drop ever came out of there, even after flushing.

Are you referring to the hose the runs from the radiator into the engine? I saw that hose but didn't take it off, but i might do another flush and then take this hose off to get all the coolant out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Just to make sure you really had the bleeder valve opened, I took a couple of pics of mine. Is this what you had open?
Yep, thats the thing I loosened...and eventually even took off cause i had the radiator completly full and nothing coming out from the bleeder. The best I could tell it wasn't clogged...but its pretty hard to see in there so maybe not.

Maybe I misunderstood the directions I was following....does the motorcycle have to be running in order to get it to bleed? Cause mine wasn't when I was trying to bleed it. I did run it after trying to get it to bleed and reved it a little and watched some bubbles work their way out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFunnie13 View Post
Yep, thats the thing I loosened...and eventually even took off cause i had the radiator completly full and nothing coming out from the bleeder. The best I could tell it wasn't clogged...but its pretty hard to see in there so maybe not.

Maybe I misunderstood the directions I was following....does the motorcycle have to be running in order to get it to bleed? Cause mine wasn't when I was trying to bleed it. I did run it after trying to get it to bleed and reved it a little and watched some bubbles work their way out.
The bike shouldn't be running when you bleed it - if it's running, it'll hemorage (been there, done that). But you should see little bubbles coming out of the bleed valve when you're putting coolant in. I'm guessing - per someone else's suggestion - that your valve is clogged. Maybe a good spritz (off the bike) with brake cleaner or some other highly toxic substance?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement