Bike Shuts Down - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Bike Shuts Down

Hello, I've had my bike for two summers now and I've been having a recurring problem with the motor shutting off. It has never left me stranded so I never really worried to much and just kept riding . My little sister is going to take the MSF class and start riding it. I don't want it to shut off on her since she knows nothing about mechanics.
Here's what happens. The bike is always up to operating temperature, and a little hot when this happens. When cruising, not accelerating or deccelerating, the bike is running fine. Then, when I open up the throttle, the bike feels like it is running on one cylinder for a few seconds then cuts out completely as if out of fuel. However, there has always been right around half a tank of fuel. Sometimes the bikes starts right back up, sometimes I have to let it sit for 5-10 minutes. I go a little farther, and it happens again. It seems to be resolved by filling the gas tank. But sometimes this happens when the tank is 3/4 full, and sometimes with only 1/4 tank. Sometimes I'm giving it absolute hell in the twisties, sometimes cruising through town. I've changed plugs, used fuel treatment to clean carbs, and checked for disconnected/leaky vacuum lines. I am waiting for it to happen again so I can open the filler cap and see if maybe it is vapor locking. Other than that I am clueless. The bike is all original with 26,000 miles. Could it be plug wires, stator, condensor, voltage regulator, coil, points. Anything will be helpful. I am handy with auto engines, but know little about the electrical/charging/ignition systems on bikes. If you took the time read all this, thanx for reading. If you know anything about this, HELP! Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:43 AM

Gonna top this, because I have had the EXACT same problem with my '86, but not for a while. Had the fuel system completely cleaned and checked out in my buddy's shop, including tank treatment. I checked the electrical system, cleaned and greased contacts, verified resistances, etc. I was beginning to think it was haunted, and my friend's gift of a gremlin bell took care of it.

If it ever happens again, I'll check the vapor lock theory. I don't think it's heat related (goat's belly?) because I've had it shut down on me way out in BFE, and after cranking back up in 5-10 minutes as you say, it ran smooth as silk all the way to the barn.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 AM

Check out the vent tube on the tank and make sure that it isn't pluged up this is just a guess ! and check all of the ground wires good luck and let us have an up date JD, Hyper, or Cindy ,or ccspinner, might beable to give you more heads up on the oh and DUCK ,too many on here are pretty smart this is just a few that i remember

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
Gonna top this, because I have had the EXACT same problem with my '86, but not for a while. Had the fuel system completely cleaned and checked out in my buddy's shop, including tank treatment. I checked the electrical system, cleaned and greased contacts, verified resistances, etc. I was beginning to think it was haunted, and my friend's gift of a gremlin bell took care of it.

If it ever happens again, I'll check the vapor lock theory. I don't think it's heat related (goat's belly?) because I've had it shut down on me way out in BFE, and after cranking back up in 5-10 minutes as you say, it ran smooth as silk all the way to the barn.
Happened to me yesterday on the way home from work. Felt like bike was running on one cylinder for about 10 secs, then died. Bike would't start. Cranked but wouldnt fire up. waited 5 min and started up and ran good the rest of the way home. Was a warm day but not hot about 85 degrees. Bike was in the normal temp range.
Had to cage it today until I figure this out. Volt meter showed it was charging and at proper voltage. Bike has been running perfect since last years stator & r/r replacement.
Cheman

Purchased 7/03 w/13000 mi
Sold10/10 27,000miles
Ear shave
V&H Cruisers
Tim Parrott stator
R/R relocated
Iridium Plugs
AGM Battery
Splines lubed
Clear Alternative LED brake light
TOC mcct
Mutazu LN Hard saddlebags
Chad's floorboards
Current ride-2009 Honda VTX1300

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I've had the same thing happen several times on longer rides. Sometimes at the start of the day, sometimes towards the end.
The bike would always start back up after a couple/few minutes and run fine from then on.
I think (atleast in my case) it was mostly the gas tank vent. But it also hasn't happened since I got the stator replaced.

For anyone who hasn't done it, another thing to check is the vent in the right ear. Make sure it's cut at an angle so it can't bottom out.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Wow, more ghosts in the machines!! (o;} Thanks for the suggestions, gcgoff (et al). We had thoroughly checked every ground before the last episode. I had the tank off shortly after to replace petcock...believe the vent tube was ok...haven't had it die on me since. The symptoms were just exactly as others have described. Weird, wild stuff!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 AM

I have been having this problem recently and its annoying the heck out of me.

Is the gas tank cover removable and servicable ? I see two screws on the inside. I was curious to remove and see if anything is blocking the breather holes. Also have to check the exhaust vent tubes. Reading the manual only talks about the surge tank and there is very little documentation about it.

So anyone know where the exhaust vent tube from the tank goes to ?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 AM

I think I found out why this happens. Check this thread

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Check out this thread:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7428&page=2

GlennM talks about disassembling the cap to clean out the vent. There's some other info there too about potentially widening the vent.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:20 AM

Also Here

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740
Sponsored Links
Advertisement