First Oil Change
Well, I finally got over the first hump. The PO had the drain plug on so tight I couldn't budge it. Almost gave in to going to a shop but instead bought a pair of the good old Vise-Grips and a 12" length of steel pipe (ended up not needing that). I still almost rounded the nut. I can't believe how tight he had it. Finally got it clamped with enough pressure to break it loose. Yahoo! Anyway, the rest was a piece of cake. Used Rotella T synth (blue) and a Mobil1 M1-110. Thanks guys for the tip about covering the starter with some tinfoil. A nice surprise came when I pulled out the screen. It looked pristine. No metal or junk of any kind. Got it buttoned up and She doesn't leak and sounds sooo happy. Have a friend coming Sunday to help me tackle the splines. Printed out Fergy's procedure (Thanks Fergy) and, hopefully things will go smoothly. Also will change the gear oil.
Also tightened the side stand and found the plunger on the safety switch was bent so I straightened it and worked it in and out while spraying with contact cleaner. Was hoping that was the cause of my jumping tach but no change there. Actually, it appears the switch is not working at all. The bike runs in gear whether the switch is depressed or not. I guess I need to replace it but, except for the tach, the bike runs great.
86' Vulcan, Stock & Lovin it!
Stator, R/R, splines lubed, ACCT's repl. at 25,200
Just turned 29,000 mi.
95' Vulcan, all stock, 9,700 mi.