mcct attempt - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

mcct attempt

Hi again, I loosened the locking nut and tightened the bolt while listening for the noise to quiet down...it seemed to lessen a little but THEN I began to fear the result of over tightening the tensioner...
My question is do I keep turning until the noise stops or am I correct in assuming the noise may not go away and I can do major damage by overdoing it ??? I read ...never mind...I would do best to stop assuming and be open to tried/true instructions...
Thanks ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 PM

I was advised to tighten mine just till the ticking went away and snug 'em up. Take it for an easy ride to loosen it up a bit. Listen closely at idle and readjust if necessary.

Check out this thread: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5315

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Bearcat

Hay relax. I did the acct to mcct on mine. As to geting the tension just right tighten each side till the chains quite talking to you. Once their quiet that's it. Tighten the set nut and ride.

As to over tightening, you will know if you did. Your bike won't run for crap. It will act like its bogging down at idea with no load on the motar. I know cause I over tightened mine on the first go. If this happens back each side off till she chatters and then slowly tighten them back down till she's quiet.

I've ran mine over a year now with my $.28 Mcct and I've never had to touch them after I got them set. Done be afraid of over tightening. The bike will let you know if you do. Relax and enjoy keeping your machine running with your own hands.

Keep her rubber side down.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Are you using real MSSTs or the makeshift ones made out of the ACCTs. On the real ones (I got mine from TOC) I loosened the locknuts slightly, then got on my knees on the left side of the bike, with my left hand on the front tensioner bolt, and my right hand on the rear tensioner bolt. I started the engine, and using both hands at the same time, loosened and tightened the tensioners just a little, several times. You quickly get a feel for where the noise just stops on both sides, because you are turning them at the same time. When the noise just stops, tighten the locknuts down with your fingers, and shut off the motor. Mark the position of the heads of the bolts. A felt pen will do. Then keep the bolt heads in that position while you use a wrench to securely tighten down the lock nuts. There is no way to measure it, you just have to feel for the threshold where the noise just stops. It is definitely possible to have them over tightened with no symptoms at all, but it will still cause excessive wear on the chains, guides, and sprockets.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 08-24-2013 at 11:59 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Garage
Make sure the engine is at full operating temperature. Engine parts swell with heat so do not fully adjust the mcct parts while cold.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 08-25-2013 at 10:35 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks sooo MUCH guys for the lessons...I am printing them out so i can refer as i am doing it...This is a GIANT relief to know how to do this...as to what ones they are they were put in at a shop about a year ago so i have no idea...But they seem to be sturdy and easy to work with...
Will post back with results...
Thanks again...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
real MSSTs or the makeshift ones made out of the ACCTs
...an MCCT is an MCCT....Ive seen better ones made out of the stock than the TOCs....and they dont leak like the TOCs do....

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
...an MCCT is an MCCT....Ive seen better ones made out of the stock than the TOCs....and they dont leak like the TOCs do....
...on the other side of the coin, I have TOC mcct's and praise the quality and function of them.

don't get me wrong .....Stock mcct's from Stock acct's are fine also (definitely cheaper).

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Uncertain where those came from, I had mine from TOC on for over a year before selling the bike and they never leaked.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Yer lucky then....but fixing a design flaw by using pipe thread tape IMO is NOT quality engineering or design....lol..

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21303

Sponsored Links
Advertisement