Updated TOC ACCT Springs assembly instructions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Updated TOC ACCT Springs assembly instructions

Today I talked to James from TOC Manufacturing to clarify the instructions for installing his ACCT springs. The result is that one does need to screw the threaded shaft into the plunger WHILE winding the spring up. Once the ACCT is reassembled, the plunger should extend out of the ACCT body by about one inch.

Attached is a revised version of his instructions document which more clearly describes installing the plunger into the ACCT. I sent this to him and he may update his online version. My revisions are in blue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ACCT Rebuilding_revised.pdf (40.5 KB, 154 views)

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Good additions.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

THanks, that may help - I've reloaded that thing about 5 times now, and it's always coming up around 5mm. Perhaps turning CW while turning CCW will lead to a different result!!

C

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:06 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 AM

Alright, "Uncle!" Chad, you said when you reloaded you had about a half an inch of the plunger out as well, but yours are working? For the life of me, I can't get this - I tihnk it's loaded, I can turn the screw and the plunger moves up and down, suggesting it's loaded, but there's slack in there (really noticeable once it's on the bike). I need to check the very first one I did - some time ago - and see if I did that one any differently.

But what am I missing? Put in the springs and stuff per the TOC site; one turn of the screw CW, while also putting the plunger onto the threaded rod. The old TOC instructions said to occasionally keep CW pressure/turns on the screw (so as not to undo the load whilst putting the plunger on) - no matter how I do this, it's coming out the same way every time. 5mm. Slack.

C
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Cindy, it sounds like you're turning the threaded shaft one revolution CW without the plunger on it, then installing the plunger and turning the plunger instead of the shaft until the plunger is all the way retracted. That is what the original instructions say to do, but it results in very little extension of the plunger, like you're experiencing.

After rotating the threaded shaft one turn CW (from the slotted end), install the plunger on the end of the shaft and continue to rotate the shaft CW until the plunger is completely retracted. Then, once you install the retaining clip and release the shaft, the spring will unwind and push the plunger to it's maximum extension of about one inch.

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelc5 View Post
Cindy, it sounds like you're turning the threaded shaft one revolution CW without the plunger on it, then installing the plunger and turning the plunger instead of the shaft until the plunger is all the way retracted. That is what the original instructions say to do, but it results in very little extension of the plunger, like you're experiencing.

After rotating the threaded shaft one turn CW (from the slotted end), install the plunger on the end of the shaft and continue to rotate the shaft CW until the plunger is completely retracted. Then, once you install the retaining clip and release the shaft, the spring will unwind and push the plunger to it's maximum extension of about one inch.
This is how I did it and it works fine. That initial turn is the preload. I use a 1/4" ratchet with a flat blade tip in it so I can hold the pre-retracted acct and ratchet with one hand, put the acct in place and start the nuts easily.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelc5 View Post

So once I've gone one turn CW to load the spring, then I'm basically using the screwdriver to screw the threaded rod into the plunger? Dag. I wonder how many times I can turn my right hand 360 degrees before it unscrews itself from my arm.

I'll try that again. I woke up this morning fretting about it, and am sitting here at work wishing I'd brought all the pieces with me (have an office so I can close my door)... Guess I'll just have to wait until I get home.

Thanks, Darrell - you've explained exactly what I've been experiencing, and the full loading sounds like it'll apply the proper pressure to the cam chain.

C
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Message from TOC Manufacturing

Hello All - I'd like to say thanks to Darrel for letting me know that there is some confusion around those instructions, and for making some clarifications to them. The first time I tried to rebuild those things it literally took 15 or 20 tries and a few hours to get it right, until I figured out a way to do it without having to do *too* many acrobatics. I appreciate the feedback, and will be updating my website accordingly!

Best Regards
James Larson
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlarson View Post
Hello All - I'd like to say thanks to Darrel for letting me know that there is some confusion around those instructions, and for making some clarifications to them. The first time I tried to rebuild those things it literally took 15 or 20 tries and a few hours to get it right, until I figured out a way to do it without having to do *too* many acrobatics. I appreciate the feedback, and will be updating my website accordingly!

Best Regards
James Larson
We appreciate your support.

Thanks!

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement