Engine noises. Normal or not? (video) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek

Engine noises. Normal or not? (video)

Okay, I think I have most everything sorted out on my "new" project bike. Here's what she sounds like. The weird underwater video distortion is what YouTube likes to call shakiness "stabilization". Go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Rnbu7J3LI

I do have a smallish exhaust leak on the right pipe somewhere. ACCTs aren't making any noise. I turned them a hair to hear the change in noise at idle, then did the Grambo trick (engine off, derp).

There's what seems to me to be a lot of chattering all around both cylinders though, maybe just normal valvetrain noise? Or do these bikes just have noisy injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 PM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

No noisy injectors.... But yes, this little beast had a lot of moving parts which do generate "machine" noise

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Banned

Your exhaust sounds louder and it sounds a good deal richer than mine.

These motors have too many chains/sprockets to be as quiet as most.

Perhaps others will chime in.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:10 PM

Not sure, mine doesn't have that steady tick, but I noticed an intermittent single tap sound today, coming from the left side it seemed.

Were you pointing at the leak there at the area where the right downpipe meets the heat shield? When I listened to the "rev/idle" video, #3?, I got the impression it was an exhaust leak. Seems to coincide with the thump out of the mufflers.

Are your mufflers drilled out at all? Seems to sound more throaty than mine. Could just be the audio, or maybe I should start drilling?

I wasn't aware that an ACCT could be turned any, besides doing the Grambo trick. I'm starting to be concerned about that tap I'm getting.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek

Thanks for the opinions. It's not an engine I'm used to hearing yet so I'm glad it sounds okay for the most part.

My exhaust is stock. I shaved the ears obviously and that gives it a throatier sound and probably a little louder, but mostly I think it's just more than the mic on my phone handle without distorting. Too bad it doesn't sound that mean in person... Might have to drill around the baffles a little.

Yeah, that's where I think the exhaust is leaking. I hate that sewing machine tick. Sounds like a V6 Fiero with the very common cracked front manifold, something I've learned to despise.

From my understanding the ACCT should not turn the opposite way of the "grambo trick" (unless the chain has slack d/t insufficient pre-tension). Mine were rock solid. I just retracted them a hair to see if this clicketyclacking was my ACCTs or just quad cams doing their thing. Exhaust leak aside, it just seems like such a noisy engine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds normal to me. No injectors on these bikes, just good old fashioned carbs. They are a bit hard to get to, but I'll take them over fuel injection any day. The Vulcan 750 engine is way to complicated for me, I like things simple, and this engine has about twice as many parts as it actually needs. But it is what it is, and runs great. But no way will I try to rebuild it, when mine wears out or has an internal mechanical failure, it is scrap. I love the old days when engines were simple, bearings were replaceable, cranks and cams could be reground for undersized bearings, cylinders could be rebored and larger pistons and rings installed, and valves and valve seats could be replaced. Looks like those days are gone forever.

The "Grambo trick" will tell you if there is a problem with the ACCTs, but will not fix it. The noise will come back. You can even turn the screw counterclockwise and tighten them, and make the noise go away temporarily. But either way, if the tensioners are worn out, the noise will come back. It comes back because the plungers (which is what you are turning with the little screwdriver) are able to back out when the soft aluminum threads in the tensioner body become worn. No fix is possible. You can replace the tensioners with new oem ones, and get 10,000-15,000 miles out of them, or you can replace them with TOC tensioners that will last for the life of the bike. You can also convert the ACCTs to manual tensioners. I did this on one of my old ones, but was not happy with it. It seemed a bit flimsy to me, and I decided not to use it. Many are using them, best of luck to them. But considering what a good engine is worth, and what the TOC tensioners cost, it was easily worth it to me. Those tensioners really take a beating from cam chain slap (which is normal in all bikes with cam chains) that is what wears out the threads inside the housings of the oem tensioners. I really like the solid steel TOC tensioners that are securely locked in place.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 08-18-2013 at 12:31 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html $3.99 and they always mail coupons if you get their flyer.

One of these might help pinpoint where it's coming from, it's cheap and kinda flimsy, but works and will last if handled with care. I've been using mine to listen at various spots so I have an idea what it sounds like when it's right, so I can tell when there's a problem.

Mine doesn't have the tick like yours, but through the stethoscope I can really hear all those rollers hissing. It's somewhat scary the first time, no other engine I've listened to makes that kind of racket when it's right.

I'll be using mine later today to see if I can find that single tap I'm getting, might be that steady tick just beginning to rear it's ugly head.

Sometimes I put a finger around on different spots to see if I can feel the vibration from a tick or knock. Like the back of a cam chain tensioner, etc.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 AM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroGT42 View Post
Thanks for the opinions. It's not an engine I'm used to hearing yet so I'm glad it sounds okay for the most part.

My exhaust is stock. I shaved the ears obviously and that gives it a throatier sound and probably a little louder, but mostly I think it's just more than the mic on my phone handle without distorting. Too bad it doesn't sound that mean in person... Might have to drill around the baffles a little.

Yeah, that's where I think the exhaust is leaking. I hate that sewing machine tick. Sounds like a V6 Fiero with the very common cracked front manifold, something I've learned to despise.

From my understanding the ACCT should not turn the opposite way of the "grambo trick" (unless the chain has slack d/t insufficient pre-tension). Mine were rock solid. I just retracted them a hair to see if this clicketyclacking was my ACCTs or just quad cams doing their thing. Exhaust leak aside, it just seems like such a noisy engine.
Mine sounded almost exactly like yours before I swapped the mufflers out for the screamin eagles including the annoying little tic. With mine, the tic does seem to go away above idle, but it never hurts to use a stethoscope our a long handle screwdriver to listen to it at various points.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM

I'm reading an old post right now that you might find useful. Second link is one that was posted within that thread and I haven't looked at it yet, but here they are. The quotes make reading those archived posts confusing as hell, but you get the hang of it after reading the same thing 20 times.

Is there any help for a stuck HLA??
https://www.vn750.com/forum/archive/i...p/t-18194.html

Bleeding Hydraulic Adjuster - Tech Tip
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10887

Edit: Not as much substance there as I thought there might be, but some tidbits of info. Kinda looks like something was deleted, which might be found here.. refer to this this quote: (will be looking for it in my downloaded manual)

Quote:
Depending on which manual you use....
The downloaded one (PDF) page 80-81 (4-22 & 23)
Or Clymer Page 144-146

2003-21k mi

Last edited by Spockster; 08-18-2013 at 05:16 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 PM

whats all the talk about injectors for?

Bike sounds fine, you should hear mine, sounds like the crankshaft is going to fly out at lower idle.

54K miles, I am running it till she blows.

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement