Members who have donated towards server costs
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas
Installed dyna mufflers this weekend.
I had a broken left muffler that was leaking pretty bad. The entire flange on the header end of the muffler had cracked all the way around the weld so the muffler was being held on only by the mount to the footpeg and leaking badly. After talking with JD a few weeks ago, and looking at Dianna's bike, I decided to try the dynas, since they are so easy to get off ebay. I bought a bran new pair for about $41 including shipping. Had to build my own brackets which wasn't too hard. I found some silicone self sticking stretch-n-stick tape that was rated at up to 500 degrees and decided to use that for the gasket. Also bought some new muffler clamps at autozone, big heavy duty ones and file 13'd the old clamps. I left the mufflers staggered for now, like the oem's, just in case I didn't like them. I also left on the goats belly.
When I first got the bike, I drilled the end pipes around the outside. It was better, but not quite what I wanted. A few weeks ago I decided to drill out the baffles in the center, which I had to take them off to do as my drill extension wouldn't hold a bit that size. That's when I found the broken muffler flange. So, even after drilling a 3/4" hole in the center baffles, it still wasn't quite right, sound wise. So, I bought the dynas. While I had the mufflers off, I started up the bike to hear it with just the goats belly. Not a bad loud, but no sound to it. Then I put on the dynas, and I've got to say, I think the sound is exactly right. Not too loud, but a nice low grumbling sound. I am really sold on this mod, both for getting a little more sound and for the low cost replacement. No pics yet, or sound files, but I'll have them eventually.