Preparing the bike for a long ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Preparing the bike for a long ride

I'm planning on a long motorcycle ride (long for me at least) out west next year...about 3000 miles. So, I'm wanting to make the bike as reliable as possible.

The bike is a 2002 VN750 with 13,xxx miles on it. I'll probably put a couple thousand more miles on it between now and then.

I just cleaned the carbs, replaced the float needle valves, and rebuilt the fuel petcock.

I have ordered the MCCT parts from TOC. The engine runs great but I think the cam chains are starting to make a little noise.

Before I leave on the ride, I plan to replace the tires and the battery to ensure that they don't give me any problems while I'm gone.

Of course, I'll change the oil with Rotella synthetic, new oil filter, and probably put NGK Iridium plugs in it before leaving.

Anything else that I should check/test/replace before heading out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 AM
Ndr

Doing the "tuxedo mod" might be a good idea. Or if your willing to take the time and money over the winter to do the TOC side cover mod. Both amount to pretty much the same thing. Once either mod is done, you can swap out the stator without having to pull the engine from the frame. It might even be wise to preemptively swap out you factory stator for a Tim Parrott rewound stator as they are far more reliable. Also, I would swap out to a Mosfet R/R to pare with the new stator.
While your current parts may be in fine working condition, It's my opinion that swapping theses out now would be a good choice rather then having a surprise later in the middle of your trip.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
Doing the "tuxedo mod" might be a good idea. Or if your willing to take the time and money over the winter to do the TOC side cover mod. Both amount to pretty much the same thing. Once either mod is done, you can swap out the stator without having to pull the engine from the frame. It might even be wise to preemptively swap out you factory stator for a Tim Parrott rewound stator as they are far more reliable. Also, I would swap out to a Mosfet R/R to pare with the new stator.
While your current parts may be in fine working condition, It's my opinion that swapping theses out now would be a good choice rather then having a surprise later in the middle of your trip.
x2 ....NDR, you took the thoughts right out my my head !

vulcanguy -Suggest also, when performing the Tuxedo Stator Mod (TOC or cut your own) I suggest replacing your Dampers....6 Dampers=$40.00
My dampers went out @ 13K+ miles. I have seen others with similar mileage Dampers going out.

TPE Stator & Mosfet - definitely WTG.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 08-09-2013 at 08:44 AM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Garage
If the bike runs good and battery charges....gas it up and go!! have a good time and don't fix what isn't broken.....just my opinion.

Maybe carry a tire patch kit and some seafoam for the fuel with you. Sounds like you got most of it taken care of to me.

If you go and start monkeying around with stuff that is working fine, then you open yourself up to the possibility of actually creating a problem.

I agree that if you HAVE to split the case to do the stator, you might as well do the mod and change out other things for preventative maintenance while you have it open.

I know it sucks to have to split the case to change a bad stator, but why do the mod until you actually have a problem?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I carry tire plugs.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
If the bike runs good and battery charges....gas it up and go!! have a good time and don't fix what isn't broken.....just my opinion.

Maybe carry a tire patch kit and some seafoam for the fuel with you. Sounds like you got most of it taken care of to me.

If you go and start monkeying around with stuff that is working fine, then you open yourself up to the possibility of actually creating a problem.

I agree that if you HAVE to split the case to do the stator, you might as well do the mod and change out other things for preventative maintenance while you have it open.

I know it sucks to have to split the case to change a bad stator, but why do the mod until you actually have a problem?
No case splitting required for Tuxedo Stator Mod or Damper replacement....just an engine pull.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 08-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I would make sure to lube the splines, check the fork oil, test the specific gravity of the coolant, repack the wheel bearings and neck bearings, and make sure you put at least 200 miles onto the bike after the maintenance before you hit the road... nothing like finding out that you did all this stuff just to get about 100 miles from town and something that you worked on failed.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I'll add ....Lube all your cables. Put Ride On in the tires. Cell phone and credit cards, cash..... Then GO.....

A GPS might be handy to have. Some visor/windscreen cleaner and a few flannel towels.

I think pulling the motor for "preventive maintanance" is insane.

If you trust the bike to go 50 miles you should trust it to go 3000.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I would make sure to lube the splines, check the fork oil, test the specific gravity of the coolant, repack the wheel bearings and neck bearings, and make sure you put at least 200 miles onto the bike after the maintenance before you hit the road... nothing like finding out that you did all this stuff just to get about 100 miles from town and something that you worked on failed.
someone told me the bearings are sealed....is that not true?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
someone told me the bearings are sealed....is that not true?
It is true. No need to do this, although some fresh grease in the speedometer drive on the hub can't hurt.

Unless you suspect a problem, not sure about greasing the steering head bearings either....the bikes only got 13,000 miles on it, not sure of the regular interval on that.

My point here is if you have been maintaining the bike the WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO, there shouldn't be any need to do anything simply because you're going to ride it farther.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement