ACCT noise - how loud is it??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

ACCT noise - how loud is it???

Been reading up on the various fixes to the ACCT problems of losing tension. My question is how loud is this when it fails? I'm picking up an '85 that's dirt cheap since it's got noise/knocking/clacking going on in the top end of both cylinders. It sounds like collapsed lifters or too much valve lash, but reading here it sounds like the ACCT problem - thing is this is really loud. Owner says the noise quiets down after running for 10 minutes or so.

Can someone give me a rough idea how loud the noise is???

Also -he mentioned that the cooling fan doesn't cut in when it gets warm - where's the sender and is there a relay that controls this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 PM

The ACCT is loud enough to hear over the engine when decelerating at low speeds. Could be the problem.

You could try the GRAMBO trick and see if the noise goes away. If it does then you found the problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
The ACCT is loud enough to hear over the engine when decelerating at low speeds. Could be the problem.

You could try the GRAMBO trick and see if the noise goes away. If it does then you found the problem.
This noise is very pronounced (loud) at idle and is louder than the exhaust. When revved slightly it follows the cam speed from what I can tell...

The "Grambo trick" - that's the one where the tensioner is removed and the spring re-wound with a little preload? I may try that or I read somewhere (maybe here?) that you can take a screwdriver and while running apply pressure in the CCW direction to see if the noise goes away?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
You can remove the cap from the end of the ACCT's and turn the screw manually. If the noise stops, you found the problem. If it doesn't, then something more serious is up.

Remember, there are (2) ACCT's, one on each cylinder, on the back side. You have to remove the coolant tank on the right side to get to the one on the rear cylinder.

If the ACCT spring(s) are broken, or bad, turning (and holding) the screw will simulate a healthy ACCT, which will stop the noise.

Let us know.

And FWIW, have heard of very few (maybe none) issues with a sound that wasn't an ACCT or two.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 AM

Not to turn up bad pennies for some of us, but if you search on "cegodsey," he had a sound clip of what a bad ACCT sounded like. It's very helpful if you're unsure - and then, once you've heard it, it's unmistakeable. My '92, which has just over 10k miles, has had both of the springs go bad just in the last few months. Guess they thought they deserved some time to unwind.

C
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Not to turn up bad pennies for some of us, but if you search on "cegodsey," he had a sound clip of what a bad ACCT sounded like. It's very helpful if you're unsure - and then, once you've heard it, it's unmistakeable. My '92, which has just over 10k miles, has had both of the springs go bad just in the last few months. Guess they thought they deserved some time to unwind.

I listened to his audio - mine seems a little louder than that, but it's hard to tell from the recording. Now the next question is - do I purchase the upgraded springs from http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/ACCT.htm - anyone ever use them?? How quick do they ship? Are they worth it or should I just re-wind my factory springs? If the guy that sold it to me is correct and the noise gets softer/goes away when warm then I'm thinking the spring has to still be in-tact?

Opinions? Or how many folks have had totally broken springs? I really don't want to tear into it only to have it down for a couple weeks waiting for parts... If it's worth the $22 to buy the springs and not have to worry about them for a long time (i.e. more than 10K miles) then I'd rather go that route...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiencek View Post
I listened to his audio - mine seems a little louder than that, but it's hard to tell from the recording. Now the next question is - do I purchase the upgraded springs from http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/ACCT.htm - anyone ever use them?? How quick do they ship? Are they worth it or should I just re-wind my factory springs? If the guy that sold it to me is correct and the noise gets softer/goes away when warm then I'm thinking the spring has to still be in-tact?

Opinions? Or how many folks have had totally broken springs? I really don't want to tear into it only to have it down for a couple weeks waiting for parts... If it's worth the $22 to buy the springs and not have to worry about them for a long time (i.e. more than 10K miles) then I'd rather go that route...
THe springs are much stronger (beefier) than the OEM ones and well worth the $22. I ordered mine about a week and a half ago and they came yesterday. Installed 'em this morning. The springs that came off my '92 actually look pretty good (i was surprised), but the ones I replaced on Orleans were completely shot. Well worth the money - and if you can tolerate the noise for a few more days, might as well place the order.

Anyone else have comments on the "louder" noise? My '92 was pretty loud last week when I replaced the springs.

C
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM

I re-tensioned and springs on my 88 and the noise started aging after 1-1/2 months. Ended up buying springs from TOC. Made a difference.

I would do the Grambo trick. (remove the bolt at the top and turn the screw clockwise). Hopefully the springs are stuck and this will loosen them up enough to keep the right tension for a few days.

For the money I would replace the springs. Then you only rebuild the ACCT once.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

If there is a chance of the stockers doing it again soon then I'll just order the springs - guess $22 isn't too much to invest in this old bike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:55 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I agree that the TOC springs are well worth it.
My ACCT's got pretty annoying after awhile. Once I changed the springs it was a much more pleasant ride !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement