Where do I begin??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Where do I begin???

I've been working on an 86 VN750. Picked it up cheap a few months ago. It started up and seem to run/idle ok, so I began some work on it. I'm not a mechanic and have been busy with replacing parts within my capabilities. I replaced the fork seals, master cylinder, a couple of cables, and painted the fenders. Now here's the problem. I took it for a quick spin down the road yesterday and it really bogs down under a load. It seems to want to stall as soon as I release the clutch. I assume this bike has been sitting for a while due to the inspection sticker being a few years old. Any thoughts on where to begin??

TIA...Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Two quick things to check would be the safety switch on your sidestand - someone just posted a similar problem the other day; clutch release, stall out. The switch can go bad and think that you've still got your stand down. Check that. The other is to get your carbs cleaned out, especially if the bike's been sitting for awhile. first step would be to get some SeaFoam (Pep Boys, Advance Auto), dump it into your engine, and try running it clean. I tihnk everyone here on the FOrum swears by SeaFoam now - if we thought it'd clean out our own pipes, I'm sure we'd be drinking it for breakfast!!

C
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 AM

check the vent tube hose going into the riders right-sided air intake housing. if it is pushed in all the way this can cause a problem on acceleration. best thing to do is cut the tip of that tube at a 45 degree angle and re insert it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:10 PM

My apologies on the sidestand switch - for some reason I read that as your bike was cutting out when you opened the throttle. Go with the air vent hose suggestion; but also give those carbs a good cleaning.

C
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
First step would be to get some SeaFoam (Pep Boys, Advance Auto), dump it into your engine, and try running it clean.
Just to clarify, put the Sea Foam in the gas tank and run it.

The Sea Foam can be used in the engine, just prior to doing an oil change, then running the engine for a couple minutes, but shouldn't be left in there.

Also, have you done anything with the airfilters? (cleaned/replaced?)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions...

I havn't had much time to look at it today, but I did manage to stop at the auto supply and pick up a can of Seafoam. Droppped a couple of ounces in the tank. The instructions on the can indicate to pour it in run it and let it sit a bit. I'll get that far today ...at least. In talking to a buddy of mine ( a Road King guy), he suggested to chech the pilot and main jet screws. The suggestion was to make note of where they are currently set (by screwing them all the way in), and check that against what the "book" says. Should there be a difference, set them as per tha manual. Another suggestion was to take the "bowls" off and look for "goo". Should anyone ask what size jets I have.... let me answer that now...I haven't a clue. Is there an easy way to find out???

I wont be able to work on the bike til tomorrow at the earliest. But I'll spend some time with the Clymers manual tonight to find these screws and bowls before attempting this. Does anyone know of a site with photos..to help me locate the jets/screws....and how to remove the bowl?

Thanks again...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Search Goddess

Give the seafoam a try first before getting into the jets. Also since the bike has been sitting for a while try a couple of tanks of double dose Seafoam. Extra won't hurt it.
A lot of people are amazed at the results.. it's our wonder drug!
Rule of thumb.. try the easy stuff first then work your way up to the harder jobs such as tackling jets and carb rebuilds. You have to do the easier stuff anyway and if it happens to fix the problems, all the better.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 12:09 PM

You might also take a peek inside your gas tank and see if it looks rusty.
Definitely double your dose of seafoam. If that doesn't solve it, I'd probably use a whole can and drain some from your bowl drains to make sure you get the new stuff in the carbs, then let it sit overnight at least or maybe longer.
Dianna is right on, as always, with her advice on go with the easy stuff first. Hopefully you'll be amazed at how the seafoam solves your problem.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Ok.....I'm convinced!!!

That seafoam is amazing stuff......my baby's running an awful lot better. She still has some issues....but things are getting better. I may have something to ride soon.....yippie!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
85 VN 700

Make sure to keep running seafoam through for a few tanks!

Often seafoam will help till it's gone, then the symptoms will come back. If ya run it through enough, seafoam is no longer nescessary.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement